Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2003, 10:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Measure gallons per hour?

Is there such a thing, like an odometer for pumps, that would attach between a sump and its return line that would measure gallons of water pumped?

Old 05-12-2003, 10:38 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

That would be cool, but I'm afrain there is no such device. I have always used the "fill a known volume of water, at a specified height, and time it, then do some math." There is also a spread sheet that will tell you how much water your pump is pumping, let me see if I got a link...

well, now I can't find it, hmm I gave the link to D9hp, so maybe he will post it for us.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes it would be cool. I'm surprised there isn't such a device. Ok - is there an equation? I have a pump rated at 700gph (not sure at what "head"), it's output is split via. a 1/2" Y connector immediately following a ball valve. Both splits rise 3.5', one directly, the other after moving horizontally for 3'. Input is via. two 1 1/4" pool-type hoses via. the gravity overflow... I'm just curious how much water is actually moving through the system in an hour.. the tank is 125g.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:08 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

http://reefcentral.com/calc/hlc.php

You can use this calc to figure your headloss and then you can consult the manufacturers specs for a GPH. Off the top of my head I would guestimate between the returns you are pumping about 400-450 gph. IMO, you need a larger pump for a 125g.

Old 05-12-2003, 11:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
IMHO I would get a Supream-Mag 2400
There listed here for 129.95 You may be able to find them cheaper elswhere.

http://www.championlighting.com/e/en...Pumps/mag.html
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 11:38 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Two things to think about before you upgrade to a larger pump. BTW, I agree with Kevin...you would benefit from a larger pump on that size tank.
1) Does your tank run warm now? If so, the larger pump will add even more heat if you go with a submersible. Even if you run it external, it's still water cooled. You might want to consider an external pump such as a Little Giant or Iwaki.
2) How much flow will your overflow handle? If it isn't sized for the pump, the tank will run over. An overflow with two 1" drains and an 1 1/2" siphon wouldn't handle a Little Giant pump rated @ 1200 gph. You may be able to solve the problem by adding a second overflow. Couple of things to think about anyway.
Logan J
Old 05-12-2003, 11:43 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Good idea, maybe someone should market some kind of flowmeter. I am sure it would go over big time with reefers!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

the "JetStream" sytem (one overflow, one return) is rated up to 600GPH, and the 125g tank utilizes two of these systems in parallel, so does that mean up to 1200GPH of overflow is supported?. I'm using a Supreme-Mag 7 right now.

a flowmeter would be nice - lets invent one!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:05 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

If one overflow is rated at 600 GPH...then yes, toe would be rated for 1200gph.

Old 05-13-2003, 09:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok how 'bout this -

take the Pondmaster MAG 1800 for example
(http://pondforum.com/NewFiles/SHOP%2...er%201800.html)

It's rated at 1800GPH at 1ft, but I have 3' vertical space to cover and I'm splitting the output with a T. That link states at 3' the rate is 1500 GPH.. Since I'm splitting it in two, I would assume that rate to be dropped? in which case, as my overflow handles 1200GPH, would that be an ideal solution? There's one on ebay for $105.

I want to continue using a submersible rather than an external.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com