Measure gallons per hour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mound

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there such a thing, like an odometer for pumps, that would attach between a sump and its return line that would measure gallons of water pumped?

That would be cool, but I'm afrain there is no such device. I have always used the "fill a known volume of water, at a specified height, and time it, then do some math." There is also a spread sheet that will tell you how much water your pump is pumping, let me see if I got a link...

well, now I can't find it, hmm I gave the link to D9hp, so maybe he will post it for us.

yes it would be cool. I'm surprised there isn't such a device. Ok - is there an equation? I have a pump rated at 700gph (not sure at what "head"), it's output is split via. a 1/2" Y connector immediately following a ball valve. Both splits rise 3.5', one directly, the other after moving horizontally for 3'. Input is via. two 1 1/4" pool-type hoses via. the gravity overflow... I'm just curious how much water is actually moving through the system in an hour.. the tank is 125g.

Two things to think about before you upgrade to a larger pump. BTW, I agree with Kevin...you would benefit from a larger pump on that size tank.
1) Does your tank run warm now? If so, the larger pump will add even more heat if you go with a submersible. Even if you run it external, it's still water cooled. You might want to consider an external pump such as a Little Giant or Iwaki.
2) How much flow will your overflow handle? If it isn't sized for the pump, the tank will run over. An overflow with two 1" drains and an 1 1/2" siphon wouldn't handle a Little Giant pump rated @ 1200 gph. You may be able to solve the problem by adding a second overflow. Couple of things to think about anyway.
Logan J

the "JetStream" sytem (one overflow, one return) is rated up to 600GPH, and the 125g tank utilizes two of these systems in parallel, so does that mean up to 1200GPH of overflow is supported?. I'm using a Supreme-Mag 7 right now.

a flowmeter would be nice - lets invent one!

Ok how 'bout this -

take the Pondmaster MAG 1800 for example
(http://pondforum.com/NewFiles/SHOP PAGES/Pondmaster 1800.html)

It's rated at 1800GPH at 1ft, but I have 3' vertical space to cover and I'm splitting the output with a T. That link states at 3' the rate is 1500 GPH.. Since I'm splitting it in two, I would assume that rate to be dropped? in which case, as my overflow handles 1200GPH, would that be an ideal solution? There's one on ebay for $105.

I want to continue using a submersible rather than an external.

There are a number of flow meter devices on the market but few if any are made to handle salt water and those are very cost prohibitive. Plus most take an interface with low voltage transformers... etc... You might check with a couple of companies though. Ryan Herco & Rosemount may have an inexpensive model that I am not aware of.

Just remembered of a unit we use here at work that is a very simple flow indication and measurement device. A simple stainless steel ball in a tube... called a roto-meter. If they can be fitted with a titanium ball then they are a good simple way to verify and measure flow +/- a couple of gallons per hour.

Here is what Grangers has in a pvc meter.. still not sure of the ball material.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611774668

I traded up to a 1200 GPH MAG submersible. Having hooked it up, I can say this is the far better solution..

The LFS had sold me the 700GPH model as the "jetstream" system handles 600GPH.. However, they failed to take into consideration (as did I) that this 125g setup contains 2 full jetstream systems - two inputs and two outputs..

Could I have gone bigger? Perhaps, but this seems to be cranking water right along and I know it won't cause an overflow.

The Pondmaster 1200 can move 1150GPH at a head of 3', which is what I'm dealing with. Hooked up, both sides are getting the same movement as I was trying for earlier, and the outputs are actually generating significant current, rather than just trickling out as before.

Thanks for the suggestions! This is an excellent forum..

oh did I forget to mention that?? the noise is gone! The flow is just so much more consistent, it's really pushing the water up, the overflow is strong, and the overflow control tubes have found a spot they like.. the system is now very quiet.. the only thing I can really hear is the pump, but in the cabinet, it's not too bad.. my 55g in the same room with a Fluval, and a biowheel hanging on the back is much noisier, especially when/if I let the water level get low.. the water level won't change with the jetstream system (any overflow for that matter)

This is my first experience with these jetstream models from Marineland (with any overflow system at all).. I thought I'd give it a try, and I have to say, although figuring out the right setup was a bit tedious, overall, the concept is very sound - and it's producing excellent current on the top and bottom of the tank..

On the subject of flowmeters, here are a couple I found. Champion Lighting has 3 different ones. One is called the Oscar Flowmeter and claims to measure the flow of any filter or sterilizer. It doesn't state what the range is but I suspect it's pretty low. Retail price probably about $20.
The other two are called the Blue-White, are sized for a 1" pipe, and are salteater safe. There is a 120-600 gpm version and a 300-2400 gpm version. Guessing about $60 retail.

Back
Top Bottom