Mebbid's 40b build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well. It's been a long time coming but the change to set up my 40b tank is now in sight. :D I figured now would be as good a time as any to start this thread. This will be an upgrade tank for my 20g high nano reef.

Right now I have 30 lbs of dry rock cycling in the 40 with another 25lbs in my current tank.

This is going to be an SPS heavy mixed reef and will hopefully have a few NPS corals as well.

I was playing around with the aquascaping today and took this pic :)

75748-albums12608-picture59541.jpg

After the rock is cycled and the equipment arrives I will be adding an overflow and painting the back black.

I really like the hydor koralia powerheads and want two of them but am having a hard time deciding which model to get. Would anyone have some suggestions as to which would go well in this tank?

I have a 40b with three Koralias: one 240, one 420 and one 600. The nanos are the perfect size for a 40b as they are small enough not to be obtrusive. The 600 I feel is too large and is quite obtrusive.
That said, I feel the flow in my tank is inadequate and will be upgrading to an MP10 as soon as the funds are available.
If you go with the 600s or larger you might want two of them. If you go with the nanos you might want three or four 420s.
Of course, it all depends on your rock work and what you will be stocking. Good luck.
Here's a few pics so you can see the Ks in the tank. Left side back: 600, Right side: 420 up front top / 240 in back bottom for flow behind the rock work...

Attachments

• image-1635813290.jpg
    image-1635813290.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image-452894420.jpg
    image-452894420.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 104
  • image-4097352735.jpg
    image-4097352735.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 92
Love the rock work in your tank :)

I was planning on getting 2 larger ones to place in the back corners pointing towards the front and center of the tank with one of my 240s in the back blowing behind the rocks. That and the return from my refugium will hopefully give me a sufficient water flow

Thanks.

The 550, 750, 1050 and 1400 models are all the same size.
Here's are a few better pics under whiter light to show you the size compared to the tank...

Attachments

• image-29484338.jpg
    image-29484338.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3620201352.jpg
    image-3620201352.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3556838905.jpg
    image-3556838905.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 96
Haven't had any updates recently but haven't really had time for a new tank. I did buy a 120w chinese LED for the tank so we'll see how well that works out for me as far as coverage.

I threw together a tentative stocking list and was wondering what people thought about it.

Ocellaris Clowns x2
Firefish x1
McCosker's flasher wrasse x1
Royal Gramma Basslet x1
Black Combtooth Blenny x1
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby x1
Blue Reef Chromis x1

I'm mostly worried that it will be overstocking the tank a bit. I was also thinking about going with a Midas blenny over the black combtooth but have read about the midas and the firefish not getting along.

... but have read about the midas and the firefish not getting along.

I have read this too but have also read they are ok, here is a link I found.

http://www.fishdb.com/db/orca/results.php?a1=390&b2=222

I am thinking it is a territory issue as the dart fish have their dart hole and the blennies have thief purchase spot. I am hoping they will be good friends in my 90 because the midas is my favorite but I would also like a couple fire fish.

Haven't had any updates recently but haven't really had time for a new tank. I did buy a 120w chinese LED for the tank so we'll see how well that works out for me as far as coverage.

I threw together a tentative stocking list and was wondering what people thought about it.

Ocellaris Clowns x2
Firefish x1
McCosker's flasher wrasse x1
Royal Gramma Basslet x1
Black Combtooth Blenny x1
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby x1
Blue Reef Chromis x1

I'm mostly worried that it will be overstocking the tank a bit. I was also thinking about going with a Midas blenny over the black combtooth but have read about the midas and the firefish not getting along.

I think the coverage might be a little off towards the sides of the tank but, think of it this way, you will have areas for low light corals when those LEDs are cranked up.

Overstocked? IMO, yes. But, I am not one to raze you about that as I only have one fish less than that in my 40b and I consider it overstocked. It can be done, just depends on your filtration, water quality and rock work. Just be sure to go slow while stocking and add fish in the order of least aggressive to most aggressive. Keep on your water changes. Keep an eye on your tests and get the nitrate under control before each new addition. By "under control" I mean very low and it stays that way not just a large water change and consider it good. ;)

Went to my LFS today to see about some fresh water stuff and he had gotten ahold of a few blue reef chromis and a starry blenny. I think I am going to buy them both and get them into QT now so they will be ready to go in when my tank is set up.

Back
Top Bottom