Mebbid's 90g reef journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got some sad news.. My snowflake blenny is missing in action. Its depressing because he was one of my fav fish :(

I didn't see anything wrong with him, but I've been gone soo much the past 5 days with school stuff; I didn't even get to see my tank with the lights on. :(

I got some sad news.. My snowflake blenny is missing in action. Its depressing because he was one of my fav fish :(

I didn't see anything wrong with him, but I've been gone soo much the past 5 days with school stuff; I didn't even get to see my tank with the lights on. :(

Sorry to hear that. Maybe he is just out in the day? My favorite orchid Dottyback came up missing about a week ago, one of my personal favorites. Always healthy then just disappeared. I feel your pain. Maybe he will show up.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe he is just out in the day? My favorite orchid Dottyback came up missing about a week ago, one of my personal favorites. Always healthy then just disappeared. I feel your pain. Maybe he will show up.

You called it. I was doing some maintenance and doing a fairly thorough cleaning of my refugium when I noticed him swimming inbetween the baffles. I'm glad he's an algae eater because he's been down there for around 3 weeks

It was a complete nightmare to get him out of them. It took 2 nets and a broken piece of hanger to get him out. My next step is to rig up a screen so that nothing can ever get back in there again.

You called it. I was doing some maintenance and doing a fairly thorough cleaning of my refugium when I noticed him swimming inbetween the baffles. I'm glad he's an algae eater because he's been down there for around 3 weeks

It was a complete nightmare to get him out of them. It took 2 nets and a broken piece of hanger to get him out. My next step is to rig up a screen so that nothing can ever get back in there again.
Glad you found him! My male ruby red dragonet has made it down into my sump, over a baffle and into my fuge twice. LOL. Plenty of pods down there, so I guess I cant blame him. Worried me though. Glad your blenny showed up. My Orchid was never found, but I did get a new one.

Here it is, the crevice he was stuck in for a month.

disA3qm.jpg

Now here he is keeping a watchful eye over his kingdom.

aQ57ddR.jpg

I bet he's glad to be out! Glad you found him. He looks healthy to me. Very comical fish!

What a Rollercoaster!! You salty folk and your houdini fish:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What a Rollercoaster!! You salty folk and your houdini fish[emoji14]

Im perfectly happy with fish winding up in my sump... much better than the carpet surfing my fish used to do. I lost 3 that way :(

Im perfectly happy with fish winding up in my sump... much better than the carpet surfing my fish used to do. I lost 3 that way :(

I wouldn't even know.. mine are all mysterious deaths/disappearances unless they're stuck to something with suction.. cats appreciate live toys apparently..

Here it is, the crevice he was stuck in for a month.

disA3qm.jpg

Now here he is keeping a watchful eye over his kingdom.

aQ57ddR.jpg

Hi Mebbid! How is your tank doing? I just came across your thread. I love the Starry Blenny/am glad you found him. It always feels great to find a missing fish...quite the relief for sure!

I hope all is well! :)

Hi Mebbid! How is your tank doing? I just came across your thread. I love the Starry Blenny/am glad you found him. It always feels great to find a missing fish...quite the relief for sure!

I hope all is well! :)

Everything is going good, just in the last final push for school to be over with before I can really get to work on my tanks :)

My trigger is still a bit of a jerk, but not as bad as he originally was. He still takes bits of fin out of clowns and yellow tang occasionally, but it's not bad enough to cause permanent damage.

My snowflake eel is aggressive towards.. everything... including me. But he's such a little guy he is incapable of doing any damage to any of the fish in my tank. I'm hoping it's just him getting acclimated and staking out a territory but the fish that are small enough to get eaten by him when he's grown up will get moved if things don't change.

Other than that, my dinoflagellate problem caused by the death of some of my macro algae in my sump is winding down. Some of my sps are looking a little rough around the edges, but the combination of continual manual removal, uv sterilizer, heavy skimming, and periodic black outs have done the trick I believe *fingers crossed*

I didn't now that you had a Snowflake, do you have any pictures? I have always admired them! I hope you Triggerfish continues to improve behavior wise...I had a Niger once a few years ago.

I didn't now that you had a Snowflake, do you have any pictures? I have always admired them! I hope you Triggerfish continues to improve behavior wise...I had a Niger once a few years ago.

Only pictures from QT. He just hasn't shown his face at the same time I have my camera so I haven't been able to get a pic of him in my tank to share :) He's neat though, I catch him slithering around the bases of rocks occasionally. He's currently not even as big around as a pencil and is about 6 - 8 inches long.

O290EIt.jpg

He managed to get into the sump the first night he was in my tank, I had to rig up some craft mesh to create an impenetrable barrier to get down there as I'm sick of fish getting down there.

It's funny though, the day after I added the craft mesh I heard some splashing in my tank. I thought my trigger was going berserk but it was just my blenny trying futily to jump over it.. It looked something like this :banghead:

The Snowflake Eel looks great, and oh wow, smaller than a pencil! What a little cutie! :lol: I bet it's fun to spot him slithering around, wondering where he will appear next.

In regards to having to use the mesh and the inhabitants no cooperating...Silly fish trying to harm themselves, don't they see we just want to help them in the long run? :nono: LOL

The Snowflake Eel looks great, and oh wow, smaller than a pencil! What a little cutie! [emoji38] I bet it's fun to spot him slithering around, wondering where he will appear next.

In regards to having to use the mesh and the inhabitants no cooperating...Silly fish trying to harm themselves, don't they see we just want to help them in the long run? :nono: LOL
They are just as stubborn as me :D

I found the eel in the sump again so now I gotta find the little crack he is making his way through and fix it. This eel is making sure he wins the title of my most irritating fish :D

However, I finally managed to get some pictures! :)

3dYiT74.jpg

q9GC5MY.jpg

oaQVxUt.jpg

NolYspy.jpg

wwdLH1a.jpg

Hey new here but have a snowflake in my 120 with two overflows so hope I can help?
My tank has mega overflows(built in Aqueon) so I used tubing(like for syphon) cut on one side to build the top of my overflows upto glass lid.
I watched my little pencil sized eel swim in and out of the overflow on day one and two,and knew this was going to be a challenge!
I also duct taped the plastic part of lid in back for real!
This was over a year ago and he is a little bigger then a pencil now(around 24" long and over 1" thck).
He should settle in for you hopefully.
Most don't realize that they are the best scavenger going.
If they smell something they will not stop searching(IMO why they end up in sumps!).
Enjoy him while he is small!
Mine is in a 120 with a lion fish and miniautus grouper and they run when he is looking for the cocktail shrimp I feed(after they stuff themselves!).

Back
Top Bottom