Mebbid's 90g reef journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still not understanding where my alk is going in my tank. Over a week I lost 3.4dKH in my system somewhere.

The biggest issue with starving things out is that we keep things that we want to consume that material, like feather dusters in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Or fish :)

Do you have a good amount of coralline? That stuff sucks up alk

What's your stony coral stocking? May be time to start dosing
I have one birdsnest that's still frag size. 2 heads of frogspawn, 2 heads of duncans with 3 new ones coming in, and maybe 10 heads of a trumpet coral.
Do you have a good amount of coralline? That stuff sucks up alk

The coralline is just starting to come in. Theres not much of it at all.

Hmm that's not a big load of coral for that size tank. Idk where your alk is going lol

My snowflake blenny has decided that my finger leather is his favorite perch in the tank.

Had to fix the pic :)
t2pcFe1.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414009834820.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414009834820.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 98
That's awesome!! Like a gargoyle!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's awesome!! Like a gargoyle!

Hahah yeah, even in my 20g his favorite perch was on a plating montipora I had. It always made me think of the lion king and pride rock :lol:

Hahah yeah, even in my 20g his favorite perch was on a plating montipora I had. It always made me think of the lion king and pride rock :lol:

Mahhhhh sapenyahhhhhhh!! level with me .. how much harder/more involved/expensive is this setup vs. Your high tech planted? You guys make it look amazing but I feel like it'd be a huge disappointment waiting to happen. .

Mahhhhh sapenyahhhhhhh!! level with me .. how much harder/more involved/expensive is this setup vs. Your high tech planted? You guys make it look amazing but I feel like it'd be a huge disappointment waiting to happen. .

Honestly, my salt water tank is a lot easier to care for than my planted. I do a 10% weekly or bi weekly water change depending on how i'm feeling that particular week and I've been doing a handfull of water tests weekly. With nitrates being soo low fish immune systems are generally quite strong preventing most illnesses or at least keeping them at bay. However, treating anything in a salt water tank is much much much more difficult.

As for additives, I have to dose fertilizers and glut daily in my fresh water tanks while I am going to be dosing alkalinity and calcium every other day in my salt water.

Found a local reefer that was selling some frags for $10 each. It's hard for me to say no to that :) so here is my haul.

Cali Tort
xji7q5I.jpg

Purple Bonsai
EG3hHh9.jpg

Green Slimer
xup3zNS.jpg

Pink Birdsnest
IIOg7tf.jpg

Neon Green Birdsnest
PvweTx5.jpg

Blue Montipora Digitata
GhahBYv.jpg

Orange Montipora Digitata
ZqYfRsN.jpg

Spongodes Montipora
PkvzDDJ.jpg

Tyree Flower Petal Montipora
vRfMlr4.jpg

Hollywood Stunner
2NpVotR.jpg

Nice haul for $10 each :). Especially the Cali tort, that coral grows so slow it is painful.

Nice haul for $10 each :). Especially the Cali tort, that coral grows so slow it is painful.

hehe yeah, I saw similarly sized ones going for $50 online. Not unhappy about that one at all :)

That Hollywood is sweet!!

My snowflake blenny has decided that my finger leather is his favorite perch in the tank.

Had to fix the pic :)
t2pcFe1.jpg

Believe it or not in my friend's reef tank his snowflake blenny perches on the exact same type of finger leather! :lol: Thats funny, must be from the same habitat in nature.

Mebbid, those are some nice frags you picked up. That Hollywood looks like the chalice I bought but is was called an Alien Eye (purple with green eyes). It was the size of a thumbnail when I bought it with one eye. Now it's about 8" around with many many eyes. Love watching the chalices grow.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Mebbid, those are some nice frags you picked up. That Hollywood looks like the chalice I bought but is was called an Alien Eye (purple with green eyes). It was the size of a thumbnail when I bought it with one eye. Now it's about 8" around with many many eyes. Love watching the chalices grow.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Yeah, I really like that chalice. I had a really nice one just like it that I grew out but it died when I had the issues with this tank. This one is already starting to show growth which is amazing :)

My McCoskers wrasse freshly out of both quarantine and hiding

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414602577217.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414602577217.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 101
Back
Top Bottom