Mechanical Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok my 25 gallon nano reef has been set up and running for 10 months almost 11. I Have 50 lbs of LR. Since the beginning i have been running it with a HOB bio wheel filter. I do not have a skimmer since most suggested it would be kind of an over kill. Now that my Rock is all alive can i ditch the hob fitler? i have a koralia 550 for water movement. Will my tank be ok without mechanical filtration?

I would keep the filter, it can catch particulate matter that will float around your tank. The rock is mostly biological filtration. :)

i agree with carey, keep the filter just keep the pads clean. i was running two on my 26g for 8 months

the filter has been getting really noisy these past couple of weeks. + one more question there 2 different schools of thought i noticed when it comes to changing the filter pads the company ofcourse recommends charging it every few weeks and consumers say dont change the frequently at all. any opinions?

I change put my filter floss when it gets dirty and looks to be blocking flow. thats the rule of thumb I go by.

once a month i would change it. just keep it rinsed once a week or so. its becaue bacteria grows on it and helps with the denitrification process, just rinse the pad to get any detritus off it

Back
Top Bottom