Mechanical filter dependancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soupy11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
I have a 35 gallon tank running with about 30lbs of live rock and a protein skimmer. Up until this morning I was running a fluval 204 mechanical filter with carbon/bio material in the cages. It has started leaking badly and I had to take it offline. It is roughly a month old. The shop that I bought it at was closed today and is closed tomorrow. I have it turned off right now and was wondering if I can safely go 48-60 hours without it on? I have a power head running and the protein skimmer is pushing a lot of water through....thanks for the help....

IMO there is nothing to worry about...many people who have a good sized skimmer do not used any other form of mechanical filtration.

Ok thats great....should I bother replacing the Fluval? I hear that they are pretty bad nitrate factories? Should I just get another 10 lbs of LR?

Ok thanks for the advice, gear-head - do you run with it with the white sponge filters in place? How many carbon bags? Thanks again.

I'm running a 304 on a 46 gallon tank, along with a CPR Bakpak skimmer. I started with all the sponge filters, bioballs, and carbon in the Fluval. I also had about 40 lbs of live rock. After a while, I added about 20 lbs of rock and removed all the sponge filters and bioballs from the fluval, with no problems whatsoever. Now I run it with carbon only.

Back
Top Bottom