Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
media in fluval 204

I have had my tank up and running for a month now with 19 lbs lr and 20 lbs ls, my levels are all normal I think:
nh3 = 0
no2 = .25 which I think is from adding the 10lbs of the19 lbs of lr
these two test I used aquarium pharm tests
alk = 2.86 using the salifer test
sg = 1.022

But my question is that in my fluval I have a water polishing pad, carbo-z and nh3 remover plus the two standard filters and filter fiber in it, what do I need and what can I do with out in the filter?

Here is another pic since we had added more lr, this weekend

SassyAngel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I only have LR rubble in my 304. I leave a basket empty so I can run carbon when needed.

45G Reef - 65#'s of LR, 3" sand bed, Fluval 304 filled with LR rubble, (2) MJ900, SeaClone 100 protein skimmer with MJ1200
Fish - Ocellaris Clown, Royal Gramma, Purple Firefish, Coral Beauty, Blue Neon Goby
Coral - Xenia, Devil's Hand Leather, Toadstool Leather, Green Hairy Mushrooms, Zoanthids
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Occasionally I’ll run GAC, Chemi-Pure, Cuprisorb, PhosGuard, & Purigen for a week and then empty it out again for a month or more. I wouldn’t run any media for more then a couple of weeks and as localhost said putting lr rubble in is helpful.

Make sure to clean your filter pad at least every 3 weeks and if you see your no3 rise above 10 ppm then clean weekly.

For a 29 gal tank I would add another 25-40 lbs of lr for better bio-filtration.

Also I didn’t notice a power head in the tank. I would recommend adding one on each side of the tank pointing upwards and at each other for good surface agitation.

Did you cycle your tank with the lr? If so it looks like you are nearing the end and you will want to add a fish soon to keep the bacteria alive.
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
yes i have the same filter on my 55g and i have live rock rubble filled in the basket and 1 empty also
hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks for the help. I guess it is time to take out the media and see what happens. I just need to go back to lfs and get a piece of lr that I can break up to put in my filter.
SassyAngel111 is offline   Reply With Quote

fluval, media, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com