Media tumbling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
This thread is intended to discuss media tumbling. I use to run a fluidized sand filter on my reef. I liked the whole concept of fluidization. Didn't seem efficient to place things like GFO in a bag and in the sump. In a reactor my GFO turned too hard to pass water thru it within days because of my high calcium levels. I then started using Purigen in a cheap fluidized filter Lifegard makes. That worked great for Purigen, A small filter sock on the output caught the few beads that tried to escape.

So then, with a second Lifegard filter I began to explore what I could tumble in it to work with the Purigen and go after Phosphates.

Most GFO I tried ground to dust and then clogged up. Any attempt to put a foam pad or filter sock became clogged with GFO dust within 24 hours. Seems the GFO I tested isn't hard enough to be tumbled. Had the same problem in the BRS reactor. It also stained everything it touched.

Phosguard was even worse. It seems to make dust by looking at it. I couldn't even get it to rinse clean before being put in the filter. Even with just detectable movement of the pellets at the surface it still filled the tank with white smoke in hours. Did no damage to anything and cleaned right up, but it was a failure as a test. Post filter sock clogged in hours with the dust. This stuff is designed to sit in a bag somewhere.

Now I am testing Dr. Tim's biodegradable "pearls" in the filter. They fluidize perfectly and I am anxious for a few weeks to see what this source of carbon accomplishes. I have a protein skimmer on the outflow of the pearls to catch bacteria, so we will see.

Great start Greg. I'm in a similar boat with my dual BRS reactor. Purigen goes great but the GFO just turns into a thick patty that needs to be dumped out. I have been thinking hard about what I want to do to replace GFO. Maybe chemipure?

That's what happened to me. I even mixed the GFO with AGC and then some plastic beads trying to get it to work. Gave up.

Chemipure is expensive in the quantity I go thru with 500 gallons of water. The bio beads are also expensive from Dr. Tim, but I suspect these same beads are available in 50 pound bags in the water treatment industry. Suppose to work like Vodka by providing a stable carbon source.

Yeah, mixed together gfo and my carbon to try to help...not to my liking. If those beads work out well, I wonder how easy it would be to get them...worry about that after the trial run. It is just frustrating how hard it is to keep phosphate binding material from clumping.

I have a suspicion that these beads will tumble a long time. They are just biodegradable plastic beads used in a injection molding machine to make biodegradable plastic forks and glasses. The carbon polymer is made from natural products like corn starch instead of petroleum. Pretty simple concept.

Unless they get covered in slime, they should keep moving. Will be watching for that because they could go anaerobic if the process clumped up.

Last edited:
When I get some funds together I want to make one. Now that i turned off the fuge due to everything being overwhelmed by this red hair algae the red turf is back on the powerheads in my tank...just need to control what is going on.

Also, there should just be a thread where you and I ramble back and forth about random saltwater topics since this is what has been happening lately!

When i was running GFO i barely had mine tumble no where near enough to crumble. Just enough to be a slight boil

What GFO were you all using? I'm using the BRS high capacity GFO in their single reactor and it tumbles fine with no clogs/dust. Just wondering what you guys use.

I was using their less expensive GFO. Is the premium stuff hard enough not to grind? How about clumping up?

I am using the bio beads in this reactor now and I will report how I like them. The chemistry behind them makes perfect sense to me and I hope they work.

Good call on the bio beads Greg. Hopefully there'll be some good news in the future. Let us know how they turn out.

As for the premium GFO, i noticed it was a bit harder than the regular version. I haven't really kept tabs on the stuff since it works just fine for me. I'll take a look next time I swap out the stuff.

Bio Beads will not really lower PO4 that much. They are more for NO3 and remove some PO4 by over working the skimmer.

Rick, I'm using the high capacity Gfo from brs as well. Any tips for those of us with a dual reactor? Considering a stronger pump.

Hank, do you have a valve on both the in and out of the reactor? I've found that to help considerably. But to be honest, I stayed away from the dual reactor just because it would be difficult to fine tune each reactor to my liking.

Have you thought of teeing off of your return pump? I'm having good results doing it this way. I've put a 1/2 inch pvc ball valve after the T before it hits my reactor, and then using the BRS valve on the output. It's helped to get things the way I want them.

There isn't a valve between them and I have the pump feedin them going full tilt.

I've thought about t off from the return, but I want to do an algae turf scrubber off of that as the overwhelming algae that'll grow in my Refugium should just be utilized for helping rather than being a pain to clean up.

Yeah, seems like you may need something a bit stronger then to feed your dual reactor. Or you could just T off your return for now and then figure it out later when you get your algae scrubber going.

Back
Top Bottom