Mega-flow overflow and Microbubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doughboydj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

My new set up consists of:
110 gallon high
Mega-flow overflow
29 gallon fuge
Surge 6000(similar to rio 3100 or 3500)
60lbs of base rock
60lbls of live agronite sand

Problem is that i seem to be getting these microbubbles blown back into the tank. I placed some floss on top of the bio balls to help prevent a splash effect. But that still didnt work. Then I placed a floss across the top chamber of the return in the fuge as well. Still didnt work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Are you seeing the micro bubbles in the fuge/sump or just in the main tank? Do you have a valve between the pump and the tank? If so, is it completely open? Do you have any baffles in the sump?

I see micro bubbles in the tank and the fuge. :(

I do not have any valves but the pump that goes up to the tank is completly open. As far as baffles the fuge has three chambers. 1) where the bioballs are and the water falls ontop of a floss or filter type media and has holes drilled in the seperation wall 2) where the algae and mud is with a solid wall 3) the pump returning into the tank.

I would suspect your pump needs to be burped. Turn it off and turn it ever-which-way to make sure there are no air pockets trapped in it. If you have some sort of pre-filter on the pump it could be clogged or restricting the suction. Finally you could raise the water level in your sump, if it is the return from your tank causing the bubbles.

I raised the level and burped the pump. Smaller bubbles now. Getting better :mrgreen: , any other advice?

Actually I found the problem. Its the line from the bulk head to the sump/fuge. It seems like its comming down at a fast rate thus causing these bubbles. Any suggestions? I was thinking of putting a pvc T on it with endcaps with small holes in it to maybe slow it down some?

Is the return line from the bulkhead to the sump/fuge an open ended piece of flexible tubing? If so, you can try a "filter sock" on the end of the hose. This helps reduce the microbubbles somewhat.

If you mean from the bottom of the tank to the sump, I have the flex pipe and put a loop in it. This stopped the "rush/gurgle/bubble" syndrome. Now it comes out in a solid stream like a water hose or such. Greatly reduced the noise.

The loop worked! But still have some in the tank. How long would you estimate before they are gone? Thanks

Glad it helped! I think when I had bunches from the initial setup of my tank it took 3-5 days to go away completely, but that was allot of bubbles on the side of the tank and such....

hello i don't have a fuge but i did have the micro bubble problem. i did the sock thing as mentioned before. that helped. i really noticed a diiferance when i increased the amount of water in the sump . i found a good level and marked it when it below the line i see bubbles. so i keep an i on it and just add water to the line. just my opinion. :?

Thanks for the info guys, the loop seems to be working, plus i put some teflon tape around the top of the bulkheads where the tubes go up to the tank, that seems to have helped as well, thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom