Melafix made my skimmer go mental

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
On a recomendatoin by my LFS I bought a bottle of melafix, after putting it in my tank my skimmer when insane with bubbles. Any idea how to remove this stuff. I did a 20% water change but it didn't help at all. I can't go without my skimmer for 6 months until I waterchange all of it out

e-cat said:
just let your skimmer do its job and it will remove it for you.

but within 10 seconds of plugging it in, bubbles are pouring out of the collectoin cup and back into the sump, maybe I can try sealing the top of the cup better and running a tube to a separate bucket?

Just keep emtying the collection cup on the skimmer and use some carbon. That will remove it just fine. The tea tree oil in the Melafix is what's affecting the skimmer and is making it produce excess foam in order to remove the foreign substance from the water.

Depending on why the LFS recommended the Melafix, you may just want to turn off the skimmer and let the treatment run. Just ensure good surface aggitation to prevent the surface film from building up. Once the treatment is done, turn the skimmer back on coupled with the carbon and another water change should remove it in no time. Also ensure you clean water pumps and any loose plastic equipment well as the oil will adhere to it and linger.

Cheers
Steve

Why don't you leave your skimmer off until treatment is complete (which is 7 days according to the instructions)?

Melafix will break down in the aquarium. After 7 days of treatment for my tank, it has taken my skimmer 2 days to even begin pulling stuff out of the water. Trust me, you won't have a bubble bath if you do the treatment, perform a water change, and then fire up the skimmer. It will probably take your skimmer a few days to "break back in" like mine did.

Back
Top Bottom