Melted snow = water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone (here in the northeast, at least) ever try harvesting nature's bounty and use melted snow as source water? (Ditto collected rainwater)Here in NY we have an ample supply right now (low pH, though). I'm going to test it, but I just wondered if experienced hands out there will recoil in horror at the suggestion, or if you guys are already out there shovel in hand!! If it's useable, we'll need to start using MS (melted snow) along with LS and LR and all of the other abbreviations on this board!

BTW, I've used it for my freshwater tanks without problem (I strain out the very fine sediment that, without which, rain and snow could not be possible!!).

Go Patriots! :eek:

I don't have an RO/DI unit (yet) and I'm just stating a new tank. It's really no trouble, as there is a 4-ft drift right outside the door leading to my back deck! I want to shovel the snow anyway, and I could pick up the water I need for my startup at the same time.

Plus, there's something appealing about doing at least ONE thing without chemicals and technology - the old-fashioned way, perhaps?!?!

Believe me, as the owner/caretaker of an inground pool, I have the ongoing pleasure of dealing with acid rain. :cry:

:?: What is/are the recommended ways to raise pH of source water before adding it to a tank? (What does one do when mixing new salt water, for example, to raise the pH to match the tank?)

There are products you can buy. The only one I can think of is called Proper PH 8.2. I'm sure there are others.

when mixing new Salt water, usually the salt mix will take care of the pH level. The only thing I'll say, is that if you know the rain causes issues with your swimming pool, think of what it will do to your tank. It's the same stuff except now you're giving it to animals that need to breathe it.

Have you check with any of your LFS? many of them do the BYOB water, either RO or mixed SW for quite cheap. Call around and ask. That's what I used as a water supply for the few months until I could afford an RO filter.

Ultimately, you're going to want to look for an RO filter. The DI, IMO, is optional, prefered for sensative reef systems.

midiman said:
What is/are the recommended ways to raise pH of source water before adding it to a tank? (What does one do when mixing new salt water, for example, to raise the pH to match the tank?)

I don't have to increase my pH when I mix sea water...the salt blend does that for me.

As far as recommended ways to raise pH: baking soda, or a commercially available carbonate buffer (like Kent's superbuffer dKh)

I would be concerned with potential pollutants as well depending on the area of the country you live in. I too get RO form my LFS for $.50/gal. I just use 5 gallon jugs made for water. eventually I may break down and buy an RO unit, but this has been handy enough so far.

If you need a large amount check out a water supply store. When I first started I bought my RO form a water supply store and just had to leave a deposit on the bottles which was later refunded upon return. Most will even deliver for a price.

Back
Top Bottom