Memoirs of Pistol Pete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PistolPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my first clownfish I ever picked out, the one for which my username, PistolPete, is named after jumped out of my tank and died yesterday morning. I am pretty sad to part with this fish. I thought he was hiding and possibly injured until my sister told me she found him dead on the floor.

This saddens me as I didn't think clowns were prone to jumping.

I successfully kept 3 clowns for about half a year even though I learned later that this rarely works out. But all three were close knit and never fought. I will most remember Pistol Pete for the way he happily swam back and fourth every time I approached the tank. Pistol Pete is first fish I have lost. He will never be forgotten.

RIP Pistol Pete

IMO, keeping an fish alive for 6 months is hardly a success. It's possible it was chased by the other 2 who may have begun to form a bond.

I had one of mine jump from the main to the backside of my biocube when I first got him. I now have the light diffuser as tops for all my tanks. Lets gas exchange happen, I can feed through it, and most fish can't jump through it.
It can be a pain when I want to get my hands in there, but worth it to not lose a fish.

IMO, keeping an fish alive for 6 months is hardly a success. It's possible it was chased by the other 2 who may have begun to form a bond.

I was referring to keeping the three together as being successful, as there was no bullying against the little guy, even toward the end. That was something I always looked out for because I thought it might happen eventually.

As to why the fish jumped the only thing that has been different in my tank is I started turning my lights out during the day. Could this have stressed the fish and made it jump?

I had one of mine jump from the main to the backside of my biocube when I first got him. I now have the light diffuser as tops for all my tanks. Lets gas exchange happen, I can feed through it, and most fish can't jump through it.
It can be a pain when I want to get my hands in there, but worth it to not lose a fish.

That is actually a very good idea I have considered I might have to look into a light diffuser.

Do you just used egg crate?

I agree with ccCapt.The other two probably gave him the boot.Fish will normally only jump when chased or something really spooks them.But I think it is usually another fish to blame.

Back
Top Bottom