Messy Star?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corty

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For those of you with similar stock, I have a Serpent Star and several Hermit Crabs (Scarlet Reef; Red Tipped). The Serpent Star moves around the tank at his leisure, luckily for me frequently choosing to rest in the hole of a large donut shaped piece of LR in the center of the tank, where he's easily viewed. The Hermits all gather underneath him like he's their mothership. It doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Are Serpent Stars messy eaters or something? I never see the Hermits picking on him, or eating anything underneath him - just sitting there. It doesn't seem to bother him any, and he only moves them away when one is attached to his krill and he's hungry.

On a somewhat related note, my Firefish has nipped at a couple of his "teeth" once or twice, but he hasn't jerked away, and instead shares the Firefish's bolt hole with him. Is the Firefish mistaking them for Copepods or something? They are a similar size and color. It doesn't seem to be trying to hurt it, and if it is, it's certainly not very effective - the star still has all its limbs and teeth, and doesn't seem particularly interested in running away.

Actually my sepents are quite neat. :) Good cleaners of the tank. They are not even shy anymore about it. They come out in the light to clean up what the fish miss at feeding time, fun to watch. :D
As for the nipping, some fish just nip. Hopefully it will stop with time.

I couldn't agree more on the niftyness of the Serpents. I had only a Yellow Tang when I purchased him. He was not originally the clean-up crew, and seems to eat best when fed by hand, even curling an arm around my finger for stability at times. Shy, he is not, and never really was. Also has a tendency to try and climb the walls on the front of the tank. Little attention hog..

I'll keep an eye on the little guy. Who'd have thought a two inch Firefish would be king of the tank? :roll:

Quarry, why in the world is fish profiles winning?!?!? They arent really a big forum website LOL :lol: I would have thought this would be the best.

Back
Top Bottom