metal halide 250$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on what fixture it is whether it is worth that much. How old is it what condition is it in? You may be better off getting something off ebay. I prefer DIY retro kits over the hoods.

he said he got it for 800$

he said it is 1 an a 1/2 years old.

it is in a good condition becaues he is mantaining almost all his corals with it
but i guess he wants to upgrade it

Sounds decent. When did he replace the bulbs? From what I understand they need to be replaced every 6-12 months. If theres two bulbs that need replaced, you're looking at another $100-$150 or so to replace both. If they're pretty new, thats a good deal. Find out what brand and total wattage it is.

Im getting a 492 watt fixture only used for 3 months for $350 ( brand new $700-800). The life of the blubs is the most important, like I said be sure to check how long those particular ones were in use.

Yes, sounds like about 300 watts. You *may* need to replace those bulbs soon. Its up to you. Seems like a decent deal.

Used does not mean bad. The brand does have something to do with how long it will last though. A good MH fixture is going to cost some bucks. Depending on what brand it is and whether or not it has actinics as well will also have an effect on price. Since this is a dual 150 I'm pretty sure they are double ended bulbs which means they have to be shielded so make sure they have the glass covers before you buy it. I would suggest replacing the bulbs regardless of what he tells you. New bulbs make a big difference as over time they will shift in spectrum which can lead to algae outbreaks.

Used does not mean bad. The brand does have something to do with how long it will last though. A good MH fixture is going to cost some bucks. Depending on what brand it is and whether or not it has actinics as well will also have an effect on price. Since this is a dual 150 I'm pretty sure they are double ended bulbs which means they have to be shielded so make sure they have the glass covers before you buy it. I would suggest replacing the bulbs regardless of what he tells you. New bulbs make a big difference as over time they will shift in spectrum which can lead to algae outbreaks.
the bulbs are covered with glass
. . <- bulbs
--- <- glass

diagram

150 for each bulb 2 bulbs wich means 300 metal halide for 60g tank is it a good deal?
Yea that's great, but what I want to know is what you have on the tank "Now".
IE what's the lighting that you have now on your tank.......

I have a coralife hood system( same wattage as urs) on a 90gal and it has been working fine i think you should do it but deffenetly get new lights

write know i have live rock and three fish and a shrimp.

my lighting is some cheap kink of lighting.
Those lights that you want to buy is a great option. Look at it this way, whatever the age of the MH bulbs they have got to be better then what you have now. And whenever you want to replace the bulbs would be okay.

Back
Top Bottom