Metal Halide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkenneth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Both of those bulbs are wrong! Those bulbs replicate natural sunlight as used for indoor growing (cough, cough :wink: ). You need a bulb in the right spectrum for saltwater aquariums, 10,000k-20,000k.

And you could stick a 250w over a 30 and be OK. Easily keep Acro and Monti.

IME even moderate light corals will do well under MH if acclimated properly. I have 2x250's over a 55g with a 4" sand bed. That's only 15" deep, and look what I keep in my info. Low light corals will not appreciate that amount of light, but putting them under cliffs/overhangs in the LR is always an option. That light, w/ a high K lamp, would be great for SPS, clams, zoos, and some LPS on a 30gal. The main issue w/ that much light over that little water is the heat. If not set-up correctly you could easily cook your tank.
Good luck!

ryguy said:
And you could stick a 250w over a 30 and be OK. Easily keep Acro and Monti.

...and burn everything else.

Uhhh, no. I don't get where people have these miconceptions that MH will fry your tank. 8 watts/gallon is high, but isn't excessive. I've seen some VHO set-ups that are out of control. Especially with the heigth required off the tank when using MH, a lot of that light gets dissapated and the intensity(lumens) drops.

MT79 said:
IME even moderate light corals will do well under MH if acclimated properly. I have 2x250's over a 55g with a 4" sand bed. That's only 15" deep, and look what I keep in my info. Low light corals will not appreciate that amount of light, but putting them under cliffs/overhangs in the LR is always an option. That light, w/ a high K lamp, would be great for SPS, clams, zoos, and some LPS on a 30gal. The main issue w/ that much light over that little water is the heat. If not set-up correctly you could easily cook your tank.
Good luck!

Thank you 8) Very well said.

What would you guys think of a 400 over a 65 and a 400 over a 45? Trying to set up a prop system here.

Personally (Having a 29g with 9.7wpg) I find it isnt the light intensity. Its acclimation and *heat* that will dictate your success. I have some soft corals in my 29g that have acclimated, others did not and went back under VHO. Heat however cannot be ignored as 400w over a small amount of water will cause significant heat issues with out proper mitigation.
Other than that do what you want..Its more an art than a science this hobby.

Peace.

What about a 75 gallon wanting to grow soft corals and host anenomes?

Back
Top Bottom