Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2003, 06:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
Metal Halide Ballasts

i was looking at the blueline e-ballast 400 watts from www.championlighting.com . also i saw the icecap dimmable 400 watt ballast from out newest sponsor www.premiumaquatics.com . would a dimmable ballast be beneficial? the cost is relatively the same only 5 dollars difference.

Old 12-18-2003, 07:54 PM   #2
cj10488

I would say the dimmable ballast would be the awesome way to go as you can increase the intensity thruout the day until high noon the lower the intensity as night time comes to make this as close to a true replica of the ocea water/sun

HTH,
James
Old 12-18-2003, 07:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

a dimmable MH ballast??

lets see the link to that - I did not think it was possible to dim MH
---

you sure you weren't reading about the Icecap 660, which is 440 watts and supports dimming of VHO bulbs only
Old 12-18-2003, 07:56 PM   #4
cj10488

he is really taking about dimmable MH ballast

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...Code=ICE-400NB

James
Old 12-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

welllll shazam!

must be brand new or something - icecapinc has it on their website, but no details about it

dimmable MH - wonder how they do - keeping the plasma hot enough to retain the correct spectrum but still dim the brightness?

I know my MH bulb doesn't reach it's full coloration until it's run for about 10-15 min - have to get all those halides vaporized and jazzed up and the electrons hopping their valance states.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
it may be a tough time trying to get one since they are sold out. but you think it would be a better investment than the bluelines.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

someone - anyone - how does the physics of this work?? inquiring minds are wanting to know
Old 12-19-2003, 02:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

only thing i can think of is they cut the voltage to the ballast. Like a capacitor or voltage regulator.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:30 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
OK, I talked to Gene at Icecap this morning. They did have a dimmable 400w ballast on the market for a short time, but have pulled it back for now. Apparently there were some technical issues with the ballast and those are being worked out now. It should be available again in early 2004. One thing about Icecap is they test things to death before they market them. That way, you get a quality product. I'll post when these ballasts are available again.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks a lot logan. that will give me time to save up more money let me know and if you can get them i will order them from you. thanks again

Tags
ballast, halide, metal, metal halide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com