Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Metal halide bulb need help! Attention Darin at CaptiveReefs

I just wired up my new metal halide system and when I plug it in the bulbs center turns on for a bit and then goes out. I left it plugged in and it keeps doing this and doesn't turn on fully. It has been on for about 5-10 min. It is a new bulb too. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Josh

Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had the same question when I first set mine up. It generally takes mine up to 15 minutes to fire up. Turn it on and let it sit for a while.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It was sitting there for like 45 min and kept doing the same thing
Old 02-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

bump
Old 02-01-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

From an electrician standpoint: If it is a new bulb, the ballast may be bad, although I have seen new bulbs that were bad. Without checking voltage it would be hard to diagnose. That said I have never dealt with MH for aquarium applications, so I don't know if there is any difference in their design and a standard MH fixture. For safety sake I don't advise checing the voltage if you are not experienced, as some MH fixtures put out 300+ volts.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had the same thing happen to me. At first, the bulb would fire up after 15 minutes. Then, it would fire after 30 minutes, etc. Eventually, the bulb went out completely. I replaced the bulb and the ballast, and all along it was the bulb. It does happen even with new ones.

Mike
Old 02-02-2005, 12:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Make sure you have the right ballast with the right bulb. As far as I know there are some pulse start and probe???? start bulps and balasts out there.
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is a coral vue 250w electronic ballast with a mogul socket and 250w 20k metal halide bulb. I have had it on for probably an our now. The arc turns on for like 5 seconds then goes out. This happens about every minute. I read somewhere that this happens with new bulbs but I figured that mine would have turned on fully by now. If someone with a lot of metal halide experience could chime in that would be great. Maybe Darrin at captive reefs could help me out.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does it just flicker shortly every minute? If so, it is most likely the bulb. This was the final straw with one of mine. I ended up replacing the ballast for no reason.

Mike
Old 02-02-2005, 12:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

It doesn't really flicker, it comes on for like five seconds (not super bright) and then goes off. Here is that site that I was reading stuuf about metal halides.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_....asp?ast=&key=

Tell me what you think.

Tags
bulb, cap, halide, metal, metal halide, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com