Metal Halide Bulb Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have just cut a deal with a guy. He wanted to downgrade his MH lighting. I am trading him my PFO dual 250 watt ballast and 2 12000K bulbs for a PFO dual 400 watt ballast with 2 Iwasaki 6500K bulbs. My question is, are Iwasaki 6500K bulbs any good? Does any one know where I can see a pic of a tank with that bulb lighting it? Even if the bulbs are not that great, I could not see passing up the ballast trade. My tank is 24 inches deep so I thought 400 watt lights would work fine. Plus it opens up my options on keeping sps. What do you guys think?

Thanks, the Iwasaki seems kind of yellow, but with a little actinic it should look pretty good. I am trying to sell my pc setup so I can purchase a vho setup that I will run actinic only on. Know anyone looking for a good deal on a 4 x 96 watt hamilton pc setup let me know.

Iwasaki's are pretty yellow, but they tend to render the best growth rate of any other bulb in the same wattage. They are considered to be the best of the best in 6500K. You will end up with better color from a higher k bulb...but better growth with the Iwasakis. It's kind of a trade off.

How about overdriving some NO actinics with an electronic ballast like the thread we had a while ago? May be cheaper than VHO. Those 400W are gonna be BRIGHT. Maybe even 4 actinic tubes may be required to get the desired effect.

So, Kev, what do you think of the swap? Also, do you think if I suppliment the MH with 2 or 4 VHO super actinics, will it look cool?

I think it's a good trade...depending on the age of the bulbs and ballasts. I personally like the look of 6500K with enough actinic. I prefer a 10K, but I like the 6500K as well. I think you'll be very happy with your new set up!!
mdrbig.gif

I thought about doing NO for the actinic mark. However if I can sell my 4 x 96 w pc setup, I should be able to afford VHO. I can get a 4 bulb 48 inch VHO setup with 4 super actinics for around 250 from hellolights. I really like the way VHO actinic lighting looks, plus its brighter than NO. The VHO setup from hello is a plug n play, just mount and add bulbs, I like not having to mess with wiring. Dont really trust myself. I will have the 400 watt MH mounted 8" above the water on a 24" deep tank, you dont think it will be overkill do you guys. I have heard SPS does awesome under 6500K.

Might be time for a chiller if you don't have one...Those 400w bulbs are going to be HOT.. Especially in a canopy

I took a look at the bulbs I am trading him. They are 12000K Sunburst bulbs. I have heard they are good, so we problably are a even trade on the bulbs. I got the better deal on the ballast. But it was worth it to him, I think he had heat issues. BTW, the guy I traded owns www.eastcoastclams.com , It is a good site, with good prices. I invited him to join our community, I hope he does.

Back
Top Bottom