Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2003, 04:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

metal halide bulbs

What is the difference between the screw in MH bulbs vs. the double ended MH bulbs.

Old 11-25-2003, 04:58 PM   #2

Double ended HQI's are said to be a little brighter and more intense than the screw in type is all I have heard...other than that, no difference except cost.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

but if I get the wattage a little higher than I actually need, the cost would make up for the difference, right?
ie. 400W=actual of 300W
Old 11-25-2003, 08:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I've heard a 250W double end MH bulb is about the same as a 400W single end bulb
Old 11-25-2003, 11:07 PM   #5

Quote:
I've heard a 250W double end MH bulb is about the same as a 400W single end bulb
I don't know about that, but that would be a great selling point

I don't think you can squeeze 400 watts of intensity out of a 250 watt bulb, but I could be wrong...

Are there any other thoughts on this?
Old 11-26-2003, 12:32 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
AFAIK, greater intensity is the main selling point on the HQI bulbs. I don't think the 250 HQI will rival a 400w mogul, but a light meter should tell the tale. I have heard that some folks have had issues with bulb life when using the HQI's. The moguls are, IMO, probably more dependable. JMHO.
Also, you have to have a UV shield between the HQI's and the water. The moguls don'r require this.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, you have to have a UV shield between the HQI's and the water. The moguls don'r require this.

whys that??
Old 11-26-2003, 04:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

whys that??
The glass outer envelope on a mogul bulb blocks most of the UV created from the lamp itself.

In a HQI bulb, the same glass is normally not used and it will not block UV rays. You will have to have some type of shield covering the bulb so that UV that is radiated from the bulb does not harm the inhabitants in the tank or any onlookers.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the warning on UV waves. I have since found out that same info while doing some reading.

I am wondering about how much wattage I need. My tank is 100 gal and is 24" high and 51" long. it's a bowfront , the front is 23 in" wide at the middle. I have 2 96W CF, Actinic and white, currently just freshwater. I want to have the CF lighting and get two 250w MH. Is this enough for most inverts? May have a few soft corals, mostly polyps and shrooms.
Should I just not fool myself and get the 400W? I need two of anything and I don't have the funds. Can I go with two Blue Actinics and just the 2 MH 250W, or keep CF lighting as is and the MH?

Just doing my homework first. 12 gal. Nano is not the same. Hade freshwater for 20 years and the nano just got me goin.

Thsnks in advance for the advice, that goes for everybody.

Tags
bulb, bulbs, halide, metal, metal halide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com