Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Metal halide bulbs?

I'm looking to get some metal haildes for my 75gal fowlr I want to start adding coral. I was wondering if I should run 2 150, or 2 250. I was also going to run two t5's. Where's the best place to purchase the bulbs and what brand is also good to use. The tank is 22" deep. I was also wondering how high off the tank should the lights be.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjunkie
I'm looking to get some metal haildes for my 75gal fowlr I want to start adding coral. I was wondering if I should run 2 150, or 2 250. I was also going to run two t5's. Where's the best place to purchase the bulbs and what brand is also good to use. The tank is 22" deep. I was also wondering how high off the tank should the lights be.
150's should do for most anything you might wish to keep. As far as bulb brand i highly recommend Phoenix 14k bulbs for the halides. Height off the water will depend on heat, evaporation, and light intensity needed. Start high and work your way down.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thanks I'm going to start building a canopy for my tank. I was wondering is there a time period for breaking my tank in with the metal halides.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would go with 2 250's
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok why the 2 250's instead of the 2 150's
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can grow whatever you want in any area of the tank. If you wanted to grow sps on the floor of the tank you could with no problem. Plus if you ever wanted to upgrade to a taller tank you would already have lights for it.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sounds great thank you
Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

With 250 watt x 2 halides expect to have heat issues, so that probably means chiller. Just so your aware.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not true. I have 2 250s in my tank and i have no chiller. Any metal halide is going to give off heat. If he would need a chiller with 2 250s he is going to need one with 2 150s. I cool mine off with fans. My temp does not get any higher than 78 degrees with all the lights on so he might not need a chiller.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabibi
Not true. I have 2 250s in my tank and i have no chiller. Any metal halide is going to give off heat. If he would need a chiller with 2 250s he is going to need one with 2 150s. I cool mine off with fans. My temp does not get any higher than 78 degrees with all the lights on so he might not need a chiller.
I never said he needed it i just said it was a probability. And i never said he wouldnt need one with the 150's. Just stating that 250's will give off more heat. House temp and seasonal temp play a major role along with equipment. Your temp compared to another can be totally different. OP 150 is more than capable of growing Sps in top 2/3 of tank. Base your selection off what you want to keep. Ive run 250's and 150's there is a heat difference and it could mean the difference between a chiller and no chiller, just saying. I suggest the OP do a lot of research. I would recommend Led highly to avoid halide problems.

Tags
bulb, bulbs, halide, metal, metal halide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Starter coral? | :) »