Metal Halide interference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright, I'm getting my new tank set up. Here's a crazy question I haven't seen addressed here. I lack in electrical skills...

Do you metal halide lamps interfere with any other electrical devices in your home, your VCR in particular? My VCR gets the same wavy lines across the screen as if you were running a hairdryer.

It's only using 250 watts which is nothing compared to a hair dryer which can use 1500-2000. What's the deal here?

We haven't had any problems with ours. We have two 250 watt mh right next to the tv/vcr/dvd and they are on the same breaker.

It may be the ballast itself causing the problem. Does turning of the light cure the wavy lines on the tv?
Most ballasts consist of some type of step-up transformer or electronic circuit that can radiate RF energy through several different spectrums. Similar to using a CB radio near your home....You may be able to hear the CB radio in your phone, TV, Stereo and even lose the picture on your tv temporarily. RF energy is nast and dirty....its hard to rid yourself of it. It may also be electro-magnetic energy disrupting the picture on the tv. Id try to move the light itself across the room or to another room altogether and see if it still causes the same issues with the TV. If the problem goesaway with the light running in another room, then you'll know that you need to find a different location for your tank, or TV. Good luck!

Yep, the interference is coming directly from the lights - the VCR clears up the instant the lights are turned off. It may work if the light were running in a different spot, but that's a foregone conclusion, the tank has to stay where it is.

I'm certainly no electrical expert, but I seem to remember dealing with a "shielding" issue when I put a TV directly over a stereo speaker. I remember reading that either that speaker or the TV should have proper "shielding".

The VCR is cheap, of course the ballast was pretty inexpensive too. Could it be that the VCR isn't well shielded?

There is a loose grounding wire, swiss - as a matter of fact. Where would I ground it? I don't exactly have a bunch of bare metal structural beams in my bedroom.

Where is the loose ground wire? As far as I know there should be a three prong connector on your MH set up. Therefore the powercable is grounded and the ground leed needs to connectet to the chasis af your ballast.
I'm not sure about your set up. Make sure you don't electricute yourself.
Maybe a picture would help.

swissfish said:
Make sure you don't electricute yourself.
Maybe a picture would help.

Uh. I didn't need to hear that.

There are 3 wires coming from the ballast. The other end has 2 wires that attach to the lamp and 1 green wire with a a grounding connector at the end. It has all of about 6 inches of wire to work with.

I'd post a pic but my camera's not working.

Is this an electronic or magnetic ballast? Which brand? Magnetic ballasts can be very electrically noisy. Electronic ones are too, but usually much less so since they're well regulated.

The ballast (and chasis of the bulb) should be grounded. Three prong plug to the wall. One of wires should probably be attached to the chasis with a screw. But usually grounding problems are much more noticeable.

If the ground is loose, you may be generating 'white' noise. You can test this by running an extension cord from an outlet on a different circuit than your VCR is on. (If in doubt, run one from your garage (if you have one). All devices are required to accept certain 'noise' (That little sticker on all electrical devices stating part 1 5 of the FCC code saying it may not generate noise and must accept any noise..Our gvm't hard at work there..) In the case of really cheap electronics, the filter caps are probably way cheap and allowing the noise through. More expensive devices use higher quality caps (Capacitors) and sometimes utilize IC chips to further filter ac or dc to produce a smooth supply of power. (Referred to as power 'conidtioning' in the computer biz ; )
You should consider this a fire hazard if its not properly grounded and most certainly it is as dangerous as any device not properly grounded. (Though most likely you'll just get a good jolt that would make you wish you were dead for a few seconds..) If your not electrically inclined, I would take it to a local electronics repair store to get that ground shored up no matter what the 'test' results.

GL!

Basicly, your outlet should be grounded. Testing this requires a multimeter, a wire, and some other grounded object. If your outlet isn't grounded, this is a problem that should be fixed :).

The third wire from the power cable (usually green, although colors don't mean squat sometimes) should be attached to the ballast (or through metal to the ballast) via a locking nut with the little metal teeth (better contact).

Back
Top Bottom