metal halide lighting....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfriends05

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75 gallon reef that I am setting up. I've got everything else up and going but the lighting. In the past I have used VHO's and powercompacts. I am wanting to use metal halides on this one. Coralife has some really nice setups. (two MH's complimented with 2 flourescents and fans. It also has the options to upgrade the flourescents to VHO and the MH's from 5500 to 6500, 10000 or 20000k. 100W or 175W MH"s) What I want to know is what is the best combniation with these options. Should I use 2 100W MH and upgrade to the VHO's or run the two 175W and leave it at NO flourescents. And of course which K rating would be best. I am wanting to put the flourescents on one timer and the MH's on another timer with a shorter 'on' time. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

What do you want to keep in the tank? 175s will work for LPS and softies in a 75, but for SPS and Clams I would recommend 250W halides.

As for combo...I am running a 12K halide with actinics and it is a very pleasing color, to me. Whether you would like it....hard to say. You can get an idea how it might look by looking through our bulb comparison gallery under the MH section.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/bulb_comp/

I am growing sps (near the top of the tank) with 2 175W MH 6500K supplemented with 2 NO actinic. Works pretty good - very bright white. For more of a blue tinge use 10000K or 12000K like Kevin. 250W or 400W would be better for growing sps at any depth. If you want to grow a variety of coral (sps, lps, softies, shrooms, zoos, etc.) then 175W is good. Place high light corals beneath the light, lower light corals lower in the tank or to the middle. Make shelves for very low light corals.

Back
Top Bottom