Metal Halide Lighting Question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok here's my delima we have got enough "stuff" to get together 4 250 watt MH complete sets...lights, sockets, ballasts, bulbs,reflectors etc.. How close can I mount them to a wood canopy and what about air flow? Our biggest concern is fire and cooking our fish. We also have 2 55 watt power compact flourscents that are 50% super daylight 10,000 k and 50% actinic 03 blue. Do we need to use both set ups or just the MH? We are not going for corals but we are getting an anemone tommorow. The tank is a 55 gal with a cpr protien skimmer 400 emperor filter 2 powerheads heater and 50 lds of LR. Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks in advance!! Sue :0)

A 3-4 inch gap mounted off the hood should be fine for the lights. Also be sure the lights are about 12" from the water line. Be sure you have a few fans mounted in the hood to pull air outwards and it will help with keeping the hood cooler. 4x250w MH on a 55 is going to be overkill IMO. 2x250w is more than plenty. It will allow you to keep anything you want light wise.

Wether or not you need the PC supplimentation will depend on the MH bulbs you choose. The higher the kelvin rating on the MH, the less the PC's will be needed. If you do opt for keeping the PC's, I would switch to just true actinic instead of the 50/50's. Much nicer looking when viewing in the evening without the MH on.

Cheers
Steve

ps.....

What kind of anemone and how long has the tank been set up? If you can afford it, I would also look into about another 25-50 lbs of LR.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom