Metal Halide Pendants and Actinics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking about upgrading my lighting from a 4x65W PC to probably 2x250MH and actinics.

Now the question, how do you incorporate actinics in with MH pendants? A link to a fixture that does this well (mind you a pendant type due to the heat) would be appreciated.

Do you have a canopy over your tank? You could also do a Hamilton 4ft hood that has everything built in to one unit.

I don't have a canopy, and I want something further from the top so I don't have to worry as much about the heat and I don't have to move it constantly to do maintenance.

You have anything like that Darin? Link away!

Also, I just read a post from someone about 20K bulbs and not needing actinic...anything on this?

I think bluer bulbs are all the rave right now :) Coral growth with 20k's is said to be slower though. I have been looking at 14k's myself. I worried that 20k's would be too blue. I had a LFS tell me I could try 20k's and use 10K suppliments if needed. :) It would be good to see one in person if possible.

You could always get a MH retro kit and just build a simple wood surround and hang it. I know a guy that did this with his 125. This might be cheaper.

ellisz said:
You could always get a MH retro kit and just build a simple wood surround and hang it. I know a guy that did this with his 125. This might be cheaper.

I kinda like this idea too. You could even make it the length of the tank if you wanted. That would allow you to use any actinic bulbs you wanted to. The pendant I linked to probably isn't the best one...I thought maybe you were thinking about doing a DIY and wanted something to look at for ideas.

Bearfan,

One big reason for the actinics is the sunrise/sunset effect. Less stressful than midday sun to total blackness and back.

Back
Top Bottom