Metal Halide Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platinum

Aquarium Advice Regular
If my canopy is only 7 inchs tall, can I use MH??? I heard that you need to have them at least 8 - 12 inches above the water. Is that a must or is that so the water doesnt get too hot, becuse I have a chiller. Please let me know. TIA

If my canopy is only 7 inchs tall, can I use MH???

Yes, but a 7" canopy is going to translate to about 5 or 6" from the surface of the water after everything is mounted. The reason the height is recommended is because of splash, if a hot MH bulb gets splashed, it will shatter. Personally my bulb is about 7-5" from the surface of the water with no splash gaurd and I haven't had a problem, but that may not be the case for you.

Just to add...what is your canopy made of? If it is a stock plastic canopy without any cooling fans, a MH fixture may melt it :roll:

what would cause splashes.. I am in the middle of a huge decision (tank rearrangement) and may have a halide. If one does not have fish and nothing bubbling in the tank... then what else would one be afraid of?

Back
Top Bottom