Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Metal Halide question

I'm trying to figure out how to light my 44 pentagon. I found a 250 metal halide retro kit with which I'm going to build my own hood. Do you think 250 watts is too much light for a 44 gal tank?

Should I also get some kind of actinic light in the tank? How high should I build the hood to keep heat away from the water?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do you think 250 watts is too much light for a 44 gal tank?
Really depends on what you want too keep. If you are only wanting to keep softies or mushrooms, I would say a 250w MH would be overkill. But if you are wanting to keep SPS and certain LPS, a 250w is perfect.

I run a 250w MH plus two 55w 03 PC on my 40 gallon which is dominated by SPS coral.

Quote:
Should I also get some kind of actinic light in the tank?
I love 03's. The corals give off a great fluorescent look when lit with actinic bulbs. Some also say the corals grow faster and have better coloration when using this bulbs. I would say yes, go for it!

Quote:
How high should I build the hood to keep heat away from the water?
The bottom of the MH bulbs needs to be a minimum of 6"-8" off the top of the water. Mine is about 10".

Old 10-21-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Excellent, thanks for the tips, Biggen.

The 250 MH I found is the most economical solution for the "tough to light" shape of the 44. Do you think this will burn other corals?

I found mini-hoods that have 26 watt PC lamps. I think I can fit 2 in there for 52 watts of actinic light.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Do you think this will burn other corals?
If you decide to keep lower lighting requirement corals you can always place them lower in the rock work/tank. I have my torch and candy cane coral place near the bottom of the tank as they don't like the MH at all.

Quote:
I found mini-hoods that have 26 watt PC lamps. I think I can fit 2 in there for 52 watts of actinic light.
Sweet!

Tags
halide, metal, metal halide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com