Metal Halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonSolo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

I currently considering updating my 75 gallon reef lighting to Metal Halides. Does anyone know of any good links on Metal Halide lighting info? I know very little about them and wish to learn more, so I could make an educated decision on which one/type to purchase.

Any tips or opinions would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Jon Solo :onfire:

What do you need to know? I think most questions can be answered by the members right here on AA.com! :D

Good Choice to move to MH. I started with PCs, but once I got my MH I would never change. You should be able to get away with 2x175W w/ VHO supplments for your 75. but I would go 250, just so you don't have to upgrade down the line. But it really depends on what you want to keep. You can keep SPS under the 175s but they would have to be higher up in the tank.

I would suggest that you go with an electronic ballast it will save you money in the long run compared to the Tar/Magentic ballasts which have a lot of wasted energy.

There are many sites around for lighting, but it really depends on how handy you are. Ice cap make a great ballst but they can be on the expensive side. They are also a retro kit so you will have to wire the ballast your self.

If you want a complete setup they I would check into hamilton. they make very nice setups that can be upgraded.

How about MH supplemented with PC's?? This is what I'm currently looking at.

Also what types of MH bulbs are suggested? And at what Kelvin?

JonSolo said:
How about MH supplemented with PC's?? This is what I'm currently looking at.

Also what types of MH bulbs are suggested? And at what Kelvin?

The PCs are fine too.

I would just go with the basic Single Ended Bulbs (Mogul) the I have a HQI (double ended) on my 20 Gal and I don't like it way to fragile.

As for the Kelvin.. It is a highley debated topic.

for growth I would go with a 6500K (but they are very yellow) when you use PC Actinics they will look ok. (I used these but they were just a little to yellow fo my taste, but I know people that still use them and they have great growth)

Most people use 10000K wich is a white light looks nice with Actinics. and you will still get descent growth. (I use these on my 90)

14000K is what I have on my 20gal. It's too new to comment on their performance.

20000K is the newest trend in bulds very blue, but your corals will look awesome. If do you get 20000K then I would look at XM bulbs they are the nicest of the 20000K bulbs around. When you use Actinics with these light they will be very blue

Most people suppliment there MH with some sort of Actinic wether it be T-5, PC or VHO. This is mainly for looks and also to have a dusk to dawn affect. Plus corals look really cool under actinics only!!

I recomend the 10K bulb for most new MH People. This is the most nuetral color there is. After you have it awhile you can decide if you like more or less blue in the water.

There is DE HQI bulbs and screw in MOgul bulbs. Bothe work fine., The DE bulbs do put out more power though and are a good choice. They cost more and are not nesecary to have a sucsseful reef though.

I like my 10k 2x250MH with T5's. I might go a bit bluer next time but going from a 4x55 PC fixture to this is amazing. The brightness and colors are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom