Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Metal Halides??

I was curious about Metal Halides. I have PC's blue/white and also 3 1watt lunar lights. I read alot on metal halides and have seen a nice unit from Corallife that is about $700 w/ lunar lights. It looks like a nice unit but pricey. I was wondering do all metal halides need to be over open water? I have a canopy 55gal. I see retro kits but noticed that metal halides have just the white bulb and not the blue lights like the PC. are the blue bulbs necessary in Metal halides? Also do they go on timers like the PC does? Thanks

Old 04-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are cheaper units out there. Just be careful. Aquatraders has some you might check out. Some say be wary with them though. I purchased from them and had 2 out of 4 bulbs broken during shipping , not sure that's their fault though. (they are not repsonsible for replacing due to shipping) Other than that they have worked great for 2 weeks now. MH from what I understand gives off a spectrum like the 10k light or 12k lights depending on the buld in the fixture. You will need to supplament actinic with either vho or pc to compensate for the spectrum in the MH lights.

Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

So what you are saying is that if I have a retro metal Halides set then I need to add the Blue lights also correct? Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can supplament your current lighting. Not just the blue actinics. The MH will be centered so you will have to cover the other area of your tank with light as well. MH has about a 2' square area of effextiveness, anything beyond that you will have to either have more MH bulbs or supplament to cover.
Oscar Wilde
Old 04-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I checked out the sight you mentioned and i have noticed that ODYSSEY makes a nice setup with the blue lights fans etc. Does that mean I need to add more light to it? Also how do you decided the best wattage to get? thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Odyssey light system on the site you mentioned seems nice it have th Blue lights and also I have 3 Lunar lights already. Do you think that this is a sufficiet lighting system for my tank?? I understand you said Metal Halides cover a 2' area the Odyssey has 2 metal halides so I assume for a 55gal. which is 48" that this is sufficient enough. Thanks

I have a 55gal. 260Watt CoralLife Power Compact, 3 1W Lunar Lights, Live sand 4in DSB, 75lbs. Live Rock, 2 Cinnamon Clownfish, Firefish, Magenta Dottyback, snails, crabs, Feather Duster, Sabae Purple Tipped Anenome, 1 White Leather Coral, Red Sun polyp, assorted polyps, 2 Assorted Color Plate Corals, Pipe Organ, Frogspawn, Fox Coral, Flat Brain, Finger Leather, Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, 2 8" Maxima Clams, Wet/Dry filter, Protein Skimmer, Heater, I have the Liquid Plankton and also frozen plankton and brine shrimp for food.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would still build a hood and add the pc lights that you have, But yes the 2 MH would be plenty for your tank. With that you would be able to keep any coral that you want includin clams. If you have the tools and ability, build a hood and place one MH each side of the center brace of your tank. Then place one PC bulb on each side of each MH bulb like so I0I
----
I0I
I= PC bulb
0=MH bulb
---=center brace
Then place the lunar lights where you want.
Oscar Wilde
Old 04-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

You don't think that this unit is enough? I don't understand why they would make a unit then have the consumer add more lights?? I am not undertstanding the concept of this. I have 260watt in my PC. This metal halide unit will give me 384W along with Odyssea metal halide system comes with non corrosive powder coated housing, built-in cooling fans, dual on/off switches on external ballast controlling HQI and T5 fluorescent separately, tempered glass splash guard, hanging kit and mounting brackets included.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=14
Old 04-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oooops sorry did not know this system came with extra lights!!!! Now that would be plenty all by it's self. Sorry for the confusion!!!!
That gives you almost 7 watts per gallon with MH. No problems on anything you want to keep in there. Be careful with the temp. That much light will cause your water temp to rise.
Oscar Wilde
Old 04-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

2 questions I have a glass canopy now should I still use it? Also Should I lower temp first b4 I put the lights on to see how high it was raise temp? Thanks

Tags
metal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com