Metal halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I dont have a canopy. I just use a reflector over my VHO. I was hoping to let them hang from the ceiling. Will this do.

Is this over a 125? You would need 2. Those seem like a good price as long as it will fire any 400 watt bulb.

I know a guy that used 2 400's over a 125 with great success.

I have a 125 and I have done many hours of research on metal halides for my size tank. I am favoring the 3 250's on my tank. I have seen tanks with 2 and it is just not enough light for me. depending on where they are placed the is either a shadow in the middle or on the ends. So I like the 3 because the light covers the whole tank.

3 is definately better but not 3 400's. I just know a guy that lighted a 125 with 2 400's and it looked good. I did not know until he told me though. 3x250 would be better though.

Yes I agree I would not do 3 400's that would be overkill to me. If you plan to do 3 I would do 3 250's. But then again you could do 2 400's and then in the middle or ends wherever there is a shadow you could put your lower light corals. Which would be pretty also. I just prefer to put my lower light corals lower in the tank and have an even light through out. But again that is the way I like it.

My son has almost that identical setup on his 125 nice look. I personally still like the 250's better.I would go with 3 250 MH and 2 96 actinics. Odysea makes a setup that I think I am gonna try for around 5 or 600.00 I have heard negative things about them so I havent bought them yet. But know I am finding a lot of people are saying positive things about them so I might give them a try

What are you looking to keep in the tank? If your not going to make the move to colored sticks I would add more VHO.. JMO..

I`m not looking to add any more to my tank. No more room. I am seriously thinking of doing that seaham. More VHO woll help my tank . Here is the tank if you want to see what I have. I can get 3 metal hallides for 750.00 or another set of VHO fo 250.00. That no warranty that dankent told me about got me thinking.

img_664270_0_016712bb88bbce1e086afe25936470c3.jpg

img_664270_1_8d6c49aa4247f056b44430b39eda97b9.jpg

img_664270_2_f4580d03ae17419f750aeda69b29d027.jpg

I definitely don't like the "no warranty" part when your putting up that much money. But, after having MH you'll never go back to just fluorescents. The shimmering effect like natural sunlight and over all light quality/brightness is well worth it IMO.
Your tank looks good-very healthy!

Melosu,
Just curious have you check into the T's. Your tank looks awesome if you are not planning on adding anymore I am not sure I would go with the metal halides either. I would not want to damage any of those beautiful shrooms. I would agree with more vho's or maybe upgrade to T5's. Just a thought.

Check out www.aquatraders.com for the same 3x175 fixture for a lot less. I ordered a 48in version form them and have been happy with it. I would agreee that the 400-450watt fixture would be a bit overkill.

Back
Top Bottom