Metal Halide's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPUCKETT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 105 gallon reef tank with the odyssea 150 Metal Halide hood on it. Im considering upgrading to a PFO 400 watt halide system for the SPS any suggestions on which to go with?

Depending on the depth of the tank, you might be ok with 250's. I use 2 250's on my 6ft 180 and it is plenty. I think 400's are normally overkill unless your tank is really deep.

Are you looking for a retro or a complete fixture?

Just a comment - Hara was a little vague with his response :p

A 400 certainly isn't on the low end for any lighting - but just one of them is for SPS on a 105.

Two of them would be great on a 105, at around 8 watts per gallon, but those bulbs will put off a lot of heat.

I dont think I was vague at all. I read the post to mean one 400 watt mh bulb on the tank. IMO that would not be good enough for SPS. Maybe that is not how the post was intended to be read, but that is what I saw.

and...I am a she, not a he.

Without knowing the depth of the tank or the width, anything is a best guess. I think 400's are overkill for most things. MH's have a 2ft light coverage. I have seen people use 2 400's on a 6ft 125 tank and it worked well. MH do not fit the WPG rule very well either. 175's might meet the WPG rule but if the tank is real deep, they won't penetrate like a 250 or 400.

I think we need more info from JPUCKET :)

I've always read 18" or less, 175W. 18" - 24" = 250W, and >24" 400's.

i know, its like MPG on a car. It's a "guideline", and YMMV =D

I think a full description if the lighting is needed to give advice here . 1 metal halide would be Ok if all SPS is in the 2 foot patch under it with aux. lighting (T5, VHO) for the rest of the tank as needed . Give us your full lighting .

As mentioned, we need to know dimensions of your tank and a lot omore info on the lighting system...how many bulbs, what type, etc?
In general, MH lights have a throw pattern of 2 sq ft. Meaning, for every two feet of lenght in your tank you should have one MH bulb. A four foot tank would need two bulbs to be lit properly. Wattage of the MH lights is really going to depend on two things...what you wish to keep and how deep your tank is.

The tank is 28'' in depth and 51'' in length. this is what im considering a
PFO-48SL10400-2-400 10K Metal Halide Lamps
-1-400 Watt Dual PFO Halide Ballast
-2-96W 7100K PC Lamps
-Tempered Glass Lens
-95% reflective Reflector focus's light into the tank.
-Low Profile- 5.5" High, 11" Wide, 49" Long
-All Ballasts External
-1-3" Fan

also i do have a 1/4 horse chiller on the tank as well.

With 28 inches to penetrate, I would think that two 250watt bulbs would be just fine.

i have the odyssea 175 on it now they seem to be doing fine, just thinking about upgrading

Back
Top Bottom