methods for changing water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
just curious as to the different effective methods people use to change their water. is it possible to due the water changes and keep a dry floor :) any advice for this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

**I have a 50g upstairs and a 20 g sump downstairs in a spare room.

Its quite possible unless your a clutz like me....the last two times I did water changes I dropped containers with a minumum of one gallon of water right on the floor. :?

Id like to see how everyone does it too.

i syphon out the water into a pail and top them with another pail of the same size using smaller bucket.

Python. No Spill Clean n' Fill...

Dont know WHAT I would do without it (prolly be swimmin with the fishes) :roll:

The most water spillage I get is some dribbles on the side of the tank. :p
Worth every penny.

-Dan

Yep I use the python also. Never more than a few drips spilled, and I don't have to mouth syphon, the suction is started by the faucet pressure. The tank water goes right down the sink drain! Very handy system, while the water is draining you just vacuum the sand until your water gets down to the desired level. Just measure how much water you drain out and put a mark on the side of the tank. Then in the future, just drain to this level and you know exactly how much water to put in! This is also the best time to clean the algae due to the water being low and not splashing around. I wear long gloves, it is a good practice (keeps soap and sweat on you from leaching into the tank and stuff from getting on you). Also, VERY important to turn off power to aquarium so heater and pumps are off. The heater can and will explode if the water level drops under the element, had it happen and its not pretty! :wink:

I place shower towels on the floor when doing my water changes.

A nifty way to start a syphon is by using your power head.

you guys are talking about using the python to change water how can you do this if you need to mix the salt into the water first and let it sit which means it has to sit in a different tank for a bit?

Well WHEN I do or should say DID my one water change, I used 2 13 gallon trash cans. And one power head. I took added a tube to the powerhead. Sucked out till the trash can was full then dropped the PH in the new water and let it flow in....

1 20 feet tube from tap, 1 power head with 5 feet tube to drain.
The spill mainly when taking out the fluval 304 as water drip from the fluval's tube.

Back
Top Bottom