MH and Distance to water, pic included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone, I finally got my MH hood to the location I hope to keep it at, however I wanted to make an inquiry as to wether or not its a safe location as well as good for performance. The pic enclosed shows the distance from the large glass center brace to the bulbs. Any suggestions one way or the other?

Wow that is a really close call. Is that 8.25 inches?
Does that hood have a glass cover over the bulbs? or is it open, and what is the actual distance from the bulbs to the water or brace?

The hood does have a protective lens, the distance from the base of the bulb to the center center brace (brace sits right at waterline) is 8.25 inches. The hood has two 4" fans and I have added two computer fans that sit on the brace to help vent the heat.

You should be fine. My lights are approx 9" off the water surface and this is with no protective lense covering...

Well, they have been burning for 2.5 hours now and temp hasn't budged from 80.8 so temp is looking good, I appreciate all your replies. Makes me feel more comfortable. I wasn't sure if 400 watters would be okay that close. The light appears evenly distributed though.

Okay, here is a full tank shot. I have 2X400W Coralvue 20Ks with 2X96W Coralife 03s

105G tank
160lbs LR
Im giving the tank a 3 month grow out at this point. She is 5 months old now and im done stocking for a bit.

Do the Pc's do any good, I was just wondering, if you can tell the difference when they are on or off?

How many gallons is that?
The display tank is an oceanic 105 tall.
Do the Pc's do any good, I was just wondering, if you can tell the difference when they are on or off?
IMO they do. the 20ks cause a great deal of flouresence, however the 03s really draw out the color that the 20Ks can't. Its subtle, but the difference is there.

Is the color in the pic representative of the color of the tank? What bulbs are you using MH and Actinic?
I had to adjust the saturation a tab, but I think I captured it to about 90% of true color in that full tank shot. The detail is missing, and the live rock is washed out from the white balance, but the overall color capture is probablly the most accurate I have to date. I am using coralvue 20ks 2X400W and 2X96W Coralife 03s (420nm)

Brisco did'nt you use the 50/50 bulbs instead of the actinics? Glad to see everything is working well!

I went back to the 03s, I liked the 50/50s, but felt the 03s looked better in the end. Oh, and BTW Darin, thanks again for all your help getting me setup with this new system, I am happy beyond words with everything!

Lets see a pic with the 50/50's just for curiosity sake! And you are very welcome!! :D

looks great! p.s. not to be nosey but i was wondering how much it cost you to set all that up(lightwise) TIA

Mr. Marine

Darin got me all setup with the hood, bulbs, ballasts, the whole shabang for around $750.00 I believe.

Yep it was $ right around $750. I am also now selling the CoralVue Hoods which have electonic ballasts and are a touch cheaper! PM or E-mail me if you want anymore info!

Back
Top Bottom