MH bulb or reflector 8" from water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
When measuring the suggested 8" from water level, do I make the reflector 8" and the bulb is actually closer or do I measure from the bottom of the bulb to the water level? I"m assuming it would be 8" from the bottom of the bulb to the water.

I would just do a "Best Guess" Measurment Mine is about 8" from the water to the bulb.. With MH lights I really dont think an Inch or two higher is going to make a difference since most literature recomends 12" from the water surface to the bulb.. But as you know this is not what most follow..

HTH<
James

I go right from the lowest part of the bulb. 8" is for glass tanks and the 12" is for acrylic tanks. Acrylic can't take the heat as well so it needs to be a touch higer.

Sounds good, do you guys mount the bulb/ballasts parallel or perpendicular with the tank?

I also like mounting parallel. Most reflectors do not have fronts on them and will blind you when you open the canopy if you mount them perpindicular. Either way works fine though.

To get the most out of the bulb...they should be mounted perpendicular, if space allows. You will lose less light out of the front of the tank with a perp parabolic reflector and bulb ;)

reefrunner69 said:
To get the most out of the bulb...they should be mounted perpendicular, if space allows. You will lose less light out of the front of the tank with a perp parabolic reflector and bulb ;)

Is a parabolic reflector one that has a front on it? My reflectors are open on the front but if mounting perpindicular it better I don't mind doing it because I have a front on my canopy.

Also, if I do mount parallel do I want the open end of the reflector(bulb tip) pointing towards the side of the tank or pointing towards each other in the center?

Parabolic reflector

MHBL_SLK.jpg

Back
Top Bottom