MH bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased two retro's for 175W MH lamps with ballasts. I am looking through some vendors websites and am confused about the various types and varieties of bulbs.
First off my tank is a 75gal that is 36" deep with a 5" sand bed it has 2 clowns, a scooter blenny, a cleaner shrimp& a bunch of hermits and snails. There is also 100+ lbs of LR, with some growth showing. I have just reg flour now. and am planning on mainly soft corals. The lamps I bought are mogul base.
-Are German made Ushio the best?
-what about the K spectrum? There are all over the range, what is diff between 10K+ and 20K? vs. a less K bulb?
-colors; I have seen white, crisp white, bluw/white, blue, yellow, whats better?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as always.

there are many different kinds of bulbs out there. i personally use a sunburst 12K but i will be upgrading to either a 6500K or a 10K as someone suggested to me the other night. the main difference in Kelvin or K is the color of the light. a 4700K bulb will be VERY yellow. the 6500K are still a little yellow but not as bad. now the 10000K are known to be a lot crisper white color, the 12K which i have is in my opinion too blue, which means the 20K is even more blue. now the best suggestion i can give you is go onto like marine depot site and look at the different bulbs b/c they have pictures of allot of different bulbs and their colors. i would say pick the one that is the most pleasing to your eyes.
i would suggest you pick either one of two things:
1. pick a bulb with a higher kelvin scale like the 10K or above
or
2. Pick a bulb with a lower K (10K or below) and supplement it with some actinics which will not only benefit your coral growth but it will also make the yellow bulbs appear a little more blue.

I'm wondering if the tank depth was a typo? 36" is pretty deep and I don't thing a 175 will do much there. A 400w would be marginal. Typical 75g size is 48"x18"x18". I like the 10k color although I use PC instead of MH. I have had PC bulbs that were 6500k and I didn't like the effect much. 10k with PC or VHO actinic looks great.
Logan J

First off my tank is a 75gal that is 36" deep

That is awful deep for a 75g. You probably should have gone for 400 watters, IMO 175W won't light a 36" deep tank very well. But if that's what you got...I would probably go with 10Ks (I like Ushios, although I plan on trying the Aqualine Bucshkes next year) or 6500K Iwasakis with plenty of actinic supplamentation. Possibly a couple of 96W PC "true" actinics, or VHO actinics.

-Are German made Ushio the best?

This is totally a matter of opinion, while there are obviously better bulbs in the same spectrum than others, you can't go wrong with Iwasaki, Ushio, Aqualine Bucshke or Hamilton.

-colors; I have seen white, crisp white, bluw/white, blue, yellow, whats better?

This really depends on what your keeping, corals that are found closer to the surface are gonna benefit more from a lower Kelvin bulb, while deeper water corals are going to be better suited to a higher K rating. There is also anecdotal evidence that the 6500K Iwasakis provide better growth rates (in SPS coral) than higher K rated bulbs, but the higher K rating promotes better color.

First off my tank is a 75 gal that is 36" deep

Yes I am a dummy, I meant 36" long (left to right) and 16" deep.

Now would placing these 2 lamps evenly 1 @ 10" from the left and the other 10 " from the right towards the back of the tank (where my LR is). In your opinion would using these 2 - 10K Ushio blulbs along with 2 actinic fluores bulbs,1 in front and 1 behind the MH work?

I meant 36" long (left to right) and 16" deep.

Is this a custom tank? You lost me...

In your opinion would using these 2 - 10K Ushio blulbs along with 2 actinic fluores bulbs,1 in front and 1 behind the MH work?

Very common setup and widely used in that manner....

Each bulb is good for about 2ft square, so I would center the bulds, from front to back and if the tank is 36" long, 9"-10" from each end. You want the small bulb inside the protective casing in these locations. Your gonna want the bulbs 8"-10" from the surface of the water.

Back
Top Bottom