Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

MH lighting...again

So I have been shopping for MH lighting for several months now and need some opinions. I think I have it narrowed down to the Coralife Aqualight Pro with 2x150 watt MH (10K) and 2x96 watt actinic CF suppliments or the Coralife Aqualight Advanced with 2x150 watt (20K) MH. I like the extra wattage of the Pro fixture plus, it comes with moonlights. However, it is too wide to rest on my tank (72gal bow front) and will need to be hung from the ceiling. The advanced fixture is thinner and will rest on the top of my tank using the supplied mounting legs. Less wattage though and no moonlights. What would you do???

Old 05-25-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much price difference?

Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Build your own! It is cheaper and you can have any configuration you can fit on the tank. Otherwise, it should depend on what you are going to put in the tank. If you need the higher wattage, you could always supplement with another actinic light as well.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How much price difference?
Pro fixture is $595 on ebay (new) and the Advanced fixture is $530 on various sites. By the way, I think I have decided against the fixture from AquaTraders. There was not really positive feedback from the link you provided. Just problems with broken bulbs and poor customer service. A little voice in the back of my head said to stay away from it.
Quote:
Build your own!
I have thought about this. My father-in-law is an electriction and very handy. I am not. This would require me to put a hood on my tank which I really do not want to do. I am afraid temp would become an issue.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I have the coralife on my 30G Anemone tank and I just took the legs off and set it right on top with no glass canopy. Everything is doing just fine. If your trying to pick between the two I have to say that I am beyond impressed with my coralife pro. Sorry bout the mess lol... I haven't capped my power cords for the new 30 yet. As you can see this fixture is a little too wide for my system, however its so compact that it really doesn't make any difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aqualightpro.jpg (108.3 KB, 48 views)

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

lando,

I have the Aqualight Pro on my 72 Gallon Bow Front. You can use the mounting legs provided, just have to install them a little differently. The only issue you would have is if you have a canopy. The edges of the top of the light would stick out a little and would not let the canopy rest on the tank. I run my Aqualight over the tank with no canopy and no glass and I love it. Highly recommended.

tripper
Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not to give the idea that i am against evey corallife lover, i am sure i read it somewhere that coral life's bulb dies really fast and they explode way more than the rest of the brand name 8O not a joke, I did a lot of reading on MH before i made my first DIY MH, and found out horrizontal bulbs sometimes will explode =p
but um, about the DIY MH, once again i can point it to this link for some basic samples,however try to choose electronic ballast instead of TAR.
http://www.cyberreefguru.com/diy/mh/mh.html
HTH.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I replaced my 10K coralife bulb with a 20K Helios immediately anyhows.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have the Aqualight Pro on my 72 Gallon Bow Front. You can use the mounting legs provided, just have to install them a little differently. The only issue you would have is if you have a canopy.
Got any pics tripper? I do not have a glass top or a canopy as well and I would like to see the configuration you came up with.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com