mh pendent light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if this is possible or a bad idea. I would like to purchase a 250w mh retrofit kit and build an oak trim to mount it in and suspend it over my 30 gallon tank as a pendent fixture. I am concerned that the reflector would get too hot for the wood frame. What do people think of this idea. Also would this be too much, not enough light for a 30 gallon tank.

Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard...I do not think it would get too hot for the wood. However, I am no DIY lighting expert. The idea of a pndant light above a 30 gal. is a good one. You will have enough light to keep almost anything you want and you can adjust the height of the light above the water to gain the intensity you want.

Just put a fan or two in the canopy and you should be Okay. The light will not get to hot for the wood and a 250 over a 30 is more tehn enough. You could even do a 175 and be fine.

Hey Darin...what do you think of the new Coralife 150 HQI over a 30 gal. Oceanic cube? I am in the researching stage of starting a SPS and Clam tank using a 30gal cube. 150 seems a bit on the low side for lighting, but my LFS was steering me in that direction. I was thinking of a 250. What do you think?

If you want MH only it is hard to beat the 250 DE HQI hamilton reefstar fixture. The coralife 150 are good but with clams the more light the better! If you want actinics and moonlights though the coraligfe would be the way to go. Either one will work fine but the 250 would definately give you better growth rates. The cotralife does have nice mounting legs though!

Howabout a pendant light with a 14000 or 20000K MH. That would be plenty blue and you shouldn't need actinics, right?

Darin,
If i were to purchase a pendant mh light for my 30 gallon what do you suggest.
This tank is in a home office do i have to worry about light shadows from a pendant light.
Would this give too much light for the soft corals that i already have? i was thinking a 250 watt, do you think a 175 watt would be better?

Richard

I cut a circular hole in the hood over my hex tank and suspended the MH pendant flush with the hole. The hood does not accumulate any heat at all. It has been running this way for over a year now.

Check my gallery for photo. The hood prevents the light from lighting up the entire room. The light is focussed into the tank only.

Lando,

If you ran 14K or 20K you would not need actinics. The 20K is blue where the 14K is blueish white and more balanced.

Rbarb1111,

For your 30 the coralife 24" aqualight pro is hard to beat. It gives you 150 watt DE MH, PC actinics and moonlights. It also comes with legs to set it on your tank. MH does cast a bright point source of light but the only shadows you see should be in the tank. A 150 watt DE is fine for soft corals. Another choice would be the Hamilton reefstar with either 14K or 20K bulb. I would go with a 150 since you have soft corals.

If you went mogul based for a 175 watt the PFO pendants are very nice and work really nice.

The same the applies about shadows with either DE or mogul based bulbs.

Thats my favorite! If you go with the Hamilotnm reefstar you will love the way they really spread the light. Ther reflector is one of the best I have seen in a long time!

Back
Top Bottom