MH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i finally have the money to finish my lighting. but before i order i want to ask you guys a question.

i'm planning on buying 400w 10k XM bulbs (2). now there is two types of ballasts at aquadirect. there is the 400w dual PFO magnetic ballast for $149.00. and there is the 400w dual HQI PFO magnetic ballast for $239.00.

now, common sense says go with the cheaper one. will that ballast go with xm bulbs? what is the difference in the two?

thanks guys.

mark

If you are wanting to use HQI bulbs, you either need to get an electronic ballast or get a magnetic ballast that is specific for HQI.

The electronic's are much more handy to have around as they will run ANY bulb type as longer as it is matched to the ballast advertised wattage. For example, running a 400w bulb on a 250w electronic ballast would NOT work.

I use magnetic ballasts because they are so cheap. Mine was $40 at the local electrical store. The downside to magnetics is that they generate a lot more heat then their electronic counterparts so they are typically remote mounted away from the fixture. They also use more power and can be a little noisier as well than the electronics. They also don't have the ability to run any type of bulb (i.e. Radium, HQI, Mogul, etc...) as mentioned above.

Out of the ballasts you listed, you would have to go with the 400w Dual PFO magnetic to run XM's. I believe a HQI magnetic won't work..

Confused yet?? ;)

I too am going to be getting the PFO dual ballast. The other option to look at is the pulse start dual as well. I've heard this function will help add to the life of the bulbs.
Some of the more expensive bulbs and different kelvin ratings require this funtion as well. Only going on what I've heard.

The pulse start only lights the bulbs faster and will not increase the bulb life. The HQI ballast overrive the mogul bulbs and will shorten there life a little. I would go with the magnetic unless you plan on using 2oK's in the future.

Take a look at the Coral Vue bulbs before you buy anything. Most folks I've talked to are happy with them so far.

Can anyone beat Hellolights price?
Keep an eye on the sponsor special forum for some good deals.
Darin (Captive Reefs) has had some great deals on MH and CF bulbs. I don't know how soon you need them. I saved about $50 on my MH and $40 on my CF.

PM Logan and see what he can do for you, he sells coralvue bulbs, through his online business captiveraisedcorals.com

Back
Top Bottom