Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2005, 01:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

MH Serious Evaporation....Help!!!

I have my MH just bought it's done acclimating to my 55gal. How can I fix the evaporation that it has? There has been at least 3/4 inch evaporation I put in water until the evaporation was gone but it came back? I don't understand where this water is going my wet/dry filter is ok. What is the best way to help with evaporation? Thanks

Old 06-06-2005, 03:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

hotter lights usually result in higher evaporation rates the simple solution is to add more water

Old 06-06-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
hotter lights usually result in higher evaporation rates Confused the simple solution is to add more water
and keep adding more and more and more water. Evaporation never goes away. you could add a auto top off to your RO and it will keep the level up.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Reduce the evaporation and you rase the tank temp. You can cover the tank but that will trap the heat and thus rase the temps. How many days elapsed for this level of evaporation. Honestly an average of 1 gal per day is not uncommon with tanks that have high output lights.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

...or open tops. I have 2x96watts of PC lighting, and an open-top. year round I have about 1gallon lost to evaporation everyday.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Wet Dry filter. I do not have RO. I am using eggcrate top. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/ . So evaporation is a good thing?
Old 06-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

nice light
Old 06-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I get between 1 1/2 - 2 gallons a day evap. This is very common with MH. You can expect this..especially in the summer time. I would do an auto top-off if you can.

Mike
Old 06-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

How can I get an auto top off? Also I have the hang on for the wet/dry and think that I should lift it up a lil higher to raise the water level but I know it is a pain to get the water started in the U tube any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxnonamexx
How can I get an auto top off?
You gotta make one. I'm not sure if you can buy a pre-made one... but all it is really is a bucket, a pump, and a float valve. The float valve will turn the pump on when the water level in the sump drops, and shuts off the pump when the water reaches the desired level. Just gotta make sure that you put the pump on a timer so there's only a tiny period of the day that it could turn on.

Tags
rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com