MH Serious Evaporation....Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have my MH just bought it's done acclimating to my 55gal. How can I fix the evaporation that it has? There has been at least 3/4 inch evaporation I put in water until the evaporation was gone but it came back? I don't understand where this water is going my wet/dry filter is ok. What is the best way to help with evaporation? Thanks

hotter lights usually result in higher evaporation rates Confused the simple solution is to add more water

and keep adding more and more and more water. Evaporation never goes away. you could add a auto top off to your RO and it will keep the level up.

Reduce the evaporation and you rase the tank temp. You can cover the tank but that will trap the heat and thus rase the temps. How many days elapsed for this level of evaporation. Honestly an average of 1 gal per day is not uncommon with tanks that have high output lights.

...or open tops. I have 2x96watts of PC lighting, and an open-top. year round I have about 1gallon lost to evaporation everyday.

I get between 1 1/2 - 2 gallons a day evap. This is very common with MH. You can expect this..especially in the summer time. I would do an auto top-off if you can.

Mike

How can I get an auto top off? Also I have the hang on for the wet/dry and think that I should lift it up a lil higher to raise the water level but I know it is a pain to get the water started in the U tube any suggestions?

xxnonamexx said:
How can I get an auto top off?

You gotta make one. I'm not sure if you can buy a pre-made one... but all it is really is a bucket, a pump, and a float valve. The float valve will turn the pump on when the water level in the sump drops, and shuts off the pump when the water reaches the desired level. Just gotta make sure that you put the pump on a timer so there's only a tiny period of the day that it could turn on.

Well I understand when my Sump starts to push air into tank it needs water but my tank level water is low for some odd reason.

I evap about 2 1/2 G every 2 days in my 75 with 4 110w VHO's. You may consider raising the lights a couple inches. Little less evap but also little less intensity in the lighting.

GL

Back
Top Bottom