MH suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokiums

Aquarium Advice Regular
Since I'm starting to dive deeper and deeper into my coral purchases, I'm starting to think about future upgrades such as MH. I have a 72bow with about 4-5in of substrate. I believe the depth of my tank is either 23 or 24 inches. So, I'm thinking that two 175 watt would be fine.

Let me know what you guys think. I've been reading about pulse starting ballast and just a bunch of other things and I'd like some opinions.

Thanks.

I like the 250's instead because they give you more room to grow with as your skills and interest grow.

But won't I burn certain things that are up higher? The 175's are surpose to be good up 24in, right? So, if I have the 4-5in of substrate, that means my tank's depth is now 19-20in. I don't know.

What are your thoughts?

175's would be good however, the 250's are only 75 watts more and the intensity would be more versatile to house more light demanding corals... I personally do not think it would be too much at all in a 72 gallon tank..

There are several members using 250's on 55 gal tanks and getting good results with them. One thing you might want to check into is some of the electronic ballasts that are available now.

There are several members using 250's on 55 gal tanks and getting good results with them
I am one of these members.. I have no problems and I also have low and High light corals in my tank.. My tank is only a 55g tank and I have 2x250w 10 MH and 2x55w PC actinics and It makes it real nice.. FWIW I agree got with the 250's your tank will look much nicer..

HTH<
James

I'd look at the Coral Vue ballasts and lights. They are not as expensive as some of the others and they offer an electronic ballast. www.coralvue.com If you want a ready made core/coil ballast, PFO has excellent equipment. You can, if you're handy with wiring, make your own using advance ballasts. You'll just have to wire them and provide an enclosure. You might check with Bearfan as he seems to know quite a bit about DIY MH. Last time I checked, hellolights.com had a parabolic reflector/socket on sale at a great price. I don't remember exactly how much but I know it was less than I can get them from my wholesalers...that's cheap.

equipment

Hello,
I have a 250 on a 45 gallon with 2 55 PC. I went with a ice cap. No heat, no hum and reasonable price. Get on ebay and if you can do some simple wiring you can set up a nice lighting system. I picked up the new IC 250 ballast for $114 shipped, bulb(ushio 10k) $70 shipped, mogul was cheap and you can get a reflector anywhere. Non EB may hum and will be hot. Pay a little more and get an electronic ballast, you will thank yourself later.
Michael

Thanks for info Michael. If you don't mind, can you post a picture of your lights. I'd like to see what yours looks like.

Thanks, again.

I just bought a 250w Electronic ballast with power cord and socket for $150 at HelloLights.com. I will post about the kit and installation when I get it. Bulbs opn eBay for $32.

Back
Top Bottom