Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

MIA: Purple Firefish, Peppermint Shrimp....

OK so over the past three days two of my creatures have disappeared. My purple firefish and peppermint shrimp. The shrimp has been in the tank for at least 3 months, the firefish for about 1 month. Both seemed quite healthy.

I have crabs that came along with the LR...have been trying to bait and catch several, and actually just caught one about three weeks ago that I have sitting in my qt...I thought that one might be aggressive. There are some other larger crabs that now seem to be coming out more often, they are hairy, greyish, with round bodies, and love digging under the LR... have been unable to catch these.

I also added an arrow crab around the same time I caught that red crab...I did ask a question on this forum on arrow crabs, and BearFan I believe replied and said he had seen arrow crabs eat clownfish. Could the arrow crab have eaten both the firefish (who was hanging around lower in the rocks than my other fish, blue tang and clownfish), and the shrimp? Should I get that arrow crab, and these other crabs (which I'm having a hard time catching) out of there?

Old 08-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I got rid of an arrowhead crab (you say arrow, but it's the one that looks like a spider, right?) when after 2 days straight, he was eating on a blue legged hermit, and a peppermint shrimp. Now, it may have been a coincidence, and they both had died already - - but I doubted it and got rid of the crab. I'd seen him reaching for shrimp prior to that.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

One quick update...I actually just located the shrimp, he is alive and well. Must have been hiding...so perhaps just the purple firefish was eaten..by someone? Yes the arrow crab looks like a spider, with an "arrow like" head.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

hopefully you'll find your firefish. Mine like to hide in holes in rock. The current one, that is. I had one before and he disappeared within a week. I'm sure the crabs and shrimp found him though.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firefish, pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com