Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2004, 06:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Micro Bubbles Harmful?

My tank(120Gal) has been up for 2 months and except for some microbubbles its ready for fish. The microbubbles are a result of my DIY sump, I plan to rework the sump soon.

I'd like to put in 3 Blue/Green Chromis as the first batch of fish, will they have any problems with the microbubbles?

Old 11-21-2004, 07:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They won't be a problem. Micro bubbles are usually not wanted because people don't like the way they look. The can irritate some corals and can cause problems with sponge, but your fish won't care one way or another. The only other problems is they can lead to salt creap. What is it about your sump that's causing bubbles in your main?

Old 11-21-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its a 30Gal, divided into 3rds. 1 is the fuge, the second is the return the final is where the drains return. I do have baffles but there not working as well as they should be. Its worsened by the fact I'm pushing to much flow through it.

My plan is to move the whole sump into the basement. Use a 100Gal rubbermaid tub to use as the sump. Then turn the 30 gal into a fuge.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd have to see a pic to be sure, but it sounds like your drain and your return pump are right next to each other, with the fuge off to the side. IF so, swap your fuge into the middle so your input and output are on opposite sides of the tank. That should take care of most of the bubbles.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

You are correct about your thoughts on the layout. I could try to swap the layout but then I'd have to remove and replace the baffles. If I had to wait for the silicon to dry I'd be without sump for at least 24 hours(silicone cure time). I figure it will take a max of 2 hours to switch over from the old sump to the basement sump.

The basement sump isn't just to solve the Microbubble problem. It never occured to me that I could even have a basement sump, or I would of done it from the begining. The sump will also help with in some other areas. The sump will cut down on the noise, or at least move it to a remote location. The temps are cooler in the basment so that will help cool the tank. Water volume is a given, but I can also expand the fuge for more nutrient export. Lastly I can use the area under my tank for tank storage.

Tags
bubble, bubbles, micro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com