Microbubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam Marinelli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I can't seem to keep my stock Red Sea Max 130D protein skimmer from filling my tank with microbubbles. Has anyone that has one of these dealt with a similar issue?

I had this issue with my smaller tank once- I just moved the return pipe to the opposite side of the sump do that the bubbles disappeared before it hit the compartment with my return pump in it.

You can try to see if any PVC pipes fit to it and build it so its pointing near the surface.. It will agitate the surface and get microbubbles closer to the surface making less rise time. I don't know what the skimmer looks like though so I don't know if that helped much

If it's going into sump.. Make a bubble trap with some acrylic between the skimmer and the return... It's easy :)

Wfate said:
If it's going into sump.. Make a bubble trap with some acrylic between the skimmer and the return... It's easy :)

Lol ive had problems with putting the silicone on it but if it is in the sump you could do that and put a filter sock on it

Thanks for the ideas guys, but since this plug and play tank was my first, I have little to no idea what you are saying.. Should I add tubing to the pump that feeds into the protein skimmer?

Adam Marinelli said:
Thanks for the ideas guys, but since this plug and play tank was my first, I have little to no idea what you are saying.. Should I add tubing to the pump that feeds into the protein skimmer?

Lol sorry, got carried away there.. You should add it to the one putting clean water out of the skimmer. The other just sucks water so no microbubbles are happening there. Is this a hang on back skimmer?

Update: I've found that adjusting the air intake on the tube leading to the skimmer pump works in reducing the bubbles.

I cut down the amount of air by turning it counter. It's a trial and error kind of thing that took some fine tuning, but so far it seems to have worked.

IF you have the room in the sump, forming baffles for buble traps works best, if no room, you could try altering the material on the output side of the skimmer

Back
Top Bottom