Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Microbubbles... still

I've posted once before about stuff in my tank. I've added an aqua sock and removed the particles, but the microbubbles remain.

The aqua sock is around the outputs of my UV sterilizer and my protein skimmer, so I think that I can pretty much discount those as possible sources. I hear frequently that the return pump is the cause of microbubbles. My return pump is a CAP 1800, so it's not brand x, but it's not anything high dollar. Is there something I should be doing to be sure that it's not causing microbubbles? It's entirely submerged.[/url]

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

many times the problem can be small pin-hole leaks in the plumbing that is sucking air into plumbing as it goes I would start there.

Old 01-19-2004, 02:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
wouldnt that mean that some water could be getting out as well and you would find a small amount of water or salt creep on the plumbing? i ask becasue i am having the same problem.

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

not necessarily. It's the same principle as the venturie valve on the PowerHeads or on skimmers. As the water passes by the hole at a high velocity it draws the air in the hole along with it.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

When the pump was turned off it might leak a small amount, if there was enough pressure behind it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think that I need to make it clear that I don't have a TON of microbubbles in my tank. There are just a few floating around in my tank all the time. There's always particles floating in the water to some degree, but like 80% of mine now are microbubbles.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that whatever the cause of this is, it must be incredibly small.

I don't know how I'm going to be able to isolate a hole in the plumbing between the return pump and the tank. Any suggestions? And if that isn't the problem, what's next?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 01-19-2004, 04:26 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

It is more than likely coming from the turbulance in the sump, a sponge (cleaned often) and a baffle should get rid of them.

Old 01-19-2004, 04:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I took a look at the sump up close and the water in it is very calm. The returns from the protein skimmer and the UV sterilizer are going through an aqua sock at this point and it reaches all the way back down to the water level. Thus, there is no dripping at all.

I can't put baffles in my sump because of its lack of size and the fact that it has SO much equipment in it (return pump, UV sterilizer, Mini-Jet 600, protein skimmer, pump for protein skimmer). I would put a spong in it, but I wouldn't know where to put it. Perhaps I could cut a few pieces of sponge to put around the intakes of the return pump, but that's all that comes to mind. If it didn't work at least it would narrow down the cause a bit more. Whatcha think?

Old 01-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Look through the side of the sump, shining a flashlight down through the top, this will let you know if they are in the sump and then returned to the tank, or if it is somewhere from the return pump to the tank.

Old 01-19-2004, 04:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I didn't use the most powerful of flashlights, but I looked for a couple of minutes and I didn't see a single particle of any kind in the water.

Tags
bubble, bubbles, microbubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com