Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Midas Blenny

All
I bought a midas blenny last night and before I did made sure he was eating. When I acclimated him I used the drip method for 3-4 hours. While acclimating him, I also bought a 6 line wrasse and both are in my QT now. At the LFS the blenny was very active and now he isnt. He just curls up and hides. Is this normal? I did target feed him with mysis and he does eat. The 6 line is also picking at the small rubble rock I have in the tank so both appear to be eating. Is this normal for a midas though? He seems very lifeless. My QT was just used for a yellow tang and so its cycled and the water parameters are good..less than 10 trates is all I found...

Old 02-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Most fish will act that way for the first couple of days in a QT IME. Since they are eating I wouldn't worry too much. Keeping the light off most of the time will help as well. Do you have PVC elbows or similar for them to hide in?

Personally I keep my qt tank at the same level as the lfs (ph 8.0 sg 1.019) and slowly raise the sg/ph to the main sg/ph of 1.025/8.3 over the course of 3+ weeks per first & second articles in advancedaquarist.com. Could have saved you such a long acclimation which can be stressful as well.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I do have a long acclimation time but nothing to do really on my part once I have everything set up...but your idea is a good one.
Yes I do have PVC in the QT. Im just concerned as the 6 line is acting normal and the blenny is so out of it..guess we will wait and see what happens.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought a midas blenny about 3 weeks ago and he did the same thing for about 2-3 days. After that he was very active and ate great. Unfortunatly after a week he decided that he wanted to explore the inside of the over flow and decided to jump in. Needless to say i found him dead in the sump after his wild ride through the overflow and down to the sump.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Midas blenny needs a hiding place. Make sure there's something in the QT that he can hide in. PVC will do. It will become more active.

I've had one for years and they love finding a suitable sized hole to back into and perch with the head stuck out - so's not to miss anything. You're gonna love him. I got a midas, black sailfin and had a mimic (blennies) in a 155g. Great personalities each in their own way. One swam out front (mimic and canary versions/fangs), another perched on the rocks (sailfin), and the other in the rocks (midas).

Give it some time.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I have seen him moving around today a bit. He was just so active at the LFS. He was perched and swimming around. When they fed the tank was was gobbling all he could. Will take your advice and give it a few days. Thanks for the info
I have a 100 gallon with 150 lbs LR. Can I have more than 1 blenny? What would go well with a Midas?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Re: Midas Blenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
and before I did made sure he was eating.
Way to go. Now you dont have to go through the headache of trying to get him to eat and trying to find something he will eat. Alot of us would benefit from making sure that our fish is eating before we purchased it. As far as another blenny, It looks like in bigger tanks there is a good chance you could do it but on smaller tanks they would fight. Here is mine. He is a black sailfin blenny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0272_104.jpg (68.9 KB, 80 views)

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

soooooooooooo cute. i love blennies. their faces just make me giggle
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

If you were to try another, they may have an issue for a bit, but IMO they'd calm down and stake out their own territories in a larger tank. Consider a bi-color blenny maybe. I've never had long term succes with the fang varieties (canary or mimic). They swim more out front and don't perch.

So a bicolor would perch also, like your midas. The fangs would swim out front more. Still, all of them don't really invade each other's space after they get used to each other - unless it's feeding time. They do each others space just fine then.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

In my 29 gallon, i have a bi-colored blenny and a neon blenny. they dont bug eachother in the least.

Tags
blenny

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com