Midas Blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
All
I bought a midas blenny last night and before I did made sure he was eating. When I acclimated him I used the drip method for 3-4 hours. While acclimating him, I also bought a 6 line wrasse and both are in my QT now. At the LFS the blenny was very active and now he isnt. He just curls up and hides. Is this normal? I did target feed him with mysis and he does eat. The 6 line is also picking at the small rubble rock I have in the tank so both appear to be eating. Is this normal for a midas though? He seems very lifeless. My QT was just used for a yellow tang and so its cycled and the water parameters are good..less than 10 trates is all I found...

Most fish will act that way for the first couple of days in a QT IME. Since they are eating I wouldn't worry too much. Keeping the light off most of the time will help as well. Do you have PVC elbows or similar for them to hide in?

Personally I keep my qt tank at the same level as the lfs (ph 8.0 sg 1.019) and slowly raise the sg/ph to the main sg/ph of 1.025/8.3 over the course of 3+ weeks per first & second articles in advancedaquarist.com. Could have saved you such a long acclimation which can be stressful as well.

Yeah I do have a long acclimation time but nothing to do really on my part once I have everything set up...but your idea is a good one.
Yes I do have PVC in the QT. Im just concerned as the 6 line is acting normal and the blenny is so out of it..guess we will wait and see what happens.

I bought a midas blenny about 3 weeks ago and he did the same thing for about 2-3 days. After that he was very active and ate great. Unfortunatly after a week he decided that he wanted to explore the inside of the over flow and decided to jump in. Needless to say i found him dead in the sump after his wild ride through the overflow and down to the sump.

Midas blenny needs a hiding place. Make sure there's something in the QT that he can hide in. PVC will do. It will become more active.

I've had one for years and they love finding a suitable sized hole to back into and perch with the head stuck out - so's not to miss anything. You're gonna love him. I got a midas, black sailfin and had a mimic (blennies) in a 155g. Great personalities each in their own way. One swam out front (mimic and canary versions/fangs), another perched on the rocks (sailfin), and the other in the rocks (midas).

Give it some time.

Yeah I have seen him moving around today a bit. He was just so active at the LFS. He was perched and swimming around. When they fed the tank was was gobbling all he could. Will take your advice and give it a few days. Thanks for the info
I have a 100 gallon with 150 lbs LR. Can I have more than 1 blenny? What would go well with a Midas?

fishman said:
and before I did made sure he was eating.

Way to go. Now you dont have to go through the headache of trying to get him to eat and trying to find something he will eat. Alot of us would benefit from making sure that our fish is eating before we purchased it. As far as another blenny, It looks like in bigger tanks there is a good chance you could do it but on smaller tanks they would fight. Here is mine. He is a black sailfin blenny.

Attachments

• 100_0272_104.jpg
    100_0272_104.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 98
If you were to try another, they may have an issue for a bit, but IMO they'd calm down and stake out their own territories in a larger tank. Consider a bi-color blenny maybe. I've never had long term succes with the fang varieties (canary or mimic). They swim more out front and don't perch.

So a bicolor would perch also, like your midas. The fangs would swim out front more. Still, all of them don't really invade each other's space after they get used to each other - unless it's feeding time. They do each others space just fine then.

In my 29 gallon, i have a bi-colored blenny and a neon blenny. they dont bug eachother in the least.

Back
Top Bottom