Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd have used an ammonia source to build bacteria up rather than bottled bacteria. It's a lot more reliable

Old 01-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsNfishtanks View Post
Tkey3425,
Thank you very much for your response! I'm a car guy and Im not very good at being patien
Saltwater tanks are like racing cars...the faster you go, the harder you crash.

I cycled my tank for 3 months. It didn't need that long, and was stable after 4 weeks, but I like to err on the side of caution. (And my LFS didn't get my livestock in when I expected)

Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As others have said you are headed for even more troubles than you realize with a stocked tank that probally hasn't even started to cycle, you chances of keeping the nems are slim to none in a new tank that still has to cycle. 3-6 weeks for a cycle, then only a cuc, and then a few weeks later a single small fish and a few weeks later another ect. After 3 months you might be ready for some easy corals 9-12 months, maybe a nem and many before you also thought that their tank was different but they never are.

But as far as your brace problem, as others have suggested, try and get a new top, buy I would drain the tank part way and take the stress off of it, if you want to fixe it, get some weld on and acrylic and make 2 new pieces to sandwich the broken piece in-between. You will have to get the gap in the old brace closed before doing it. Weld on will fuse the pieces all together. Care will been takes not to get any of it in the tank.

Also it broke while setting up a phosphate reactor, you don't need one, save your money, wc is all you need to keep most reefs successful.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: an ammonia source...you'll have one once your livestock starts dying off because your tank isn't cycled. You should see if your LFS will take your livestock and put them in a holding tank for you while you cycle.

Put a raw cocktail shrimp in an old stocking and let it rot away. That will kick start your cycle. Or, you can use the pure ammonia (no surfactants, sudsing agents, etc) from a local hardware store.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
As others have said you are headed for even more troubles than you realize with a stocked tank that probally hasn't even started to cycle, you chances of keeping the nems are slim to none in a new tank that still has to cycle. 3-6 weeks for a cycle, then only a cuc, and then a few weeks later a single small fish and a few weeks later another ect. After 3 months you might be ready for some easy corals 9-12 months, maybe a nem and many before you also thought that their tank was different but they never are.

But as far as your brace problem, as others have suggested, try and get a new top, buy I would drain the tank part way and take the stress off of it, if you want to fixe it, get some weld on and acrylic and make 2 new pieces to sandwich the broken piece in-between. You will have to get the gap in the old brace closed before doing it. Weld on will fuse the pieces all together. Care will been takes not to get any of it in the tank.

Also it broke while setting up a phosphate reactor, you don't need one, save your money, wc is all you need to keep most reefs successful.
I hear a phosphate reactor might be doing more harm than good? Is it taking out essential minerals I might need?
Thank you for your time! Every week I'm gonna do a 15-20 gallon water change
Old 01-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So many people want to dose and add extra equipment, but bottom line is 99 % of reef tanks only need regular water changes, if all the money spent on unneeded equipment! chemicals and snake oils was just spent on rodi units and salt there would be many more successful reefers out there, just my experience Abd opinion.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

So Carsnfish have you fixed your broken support?

Tags
advice, glass, glass tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com