Might get a 29 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
clowns, chromis, gobies, but I would saty away from damsels because they tend to be agressive towards other fish.

That `s fine. Only you know that. only reason I bring it up is because sometimes people say I`ll start small and if I like it I`ll upgrade. But when thet start small they have in mind the fish for the big tank. But I understand.

Clowns, chromis, damsels, some gobies, dwarf fuzzy lions if you have the tank space, some wrasses, some blennies, and other common sw fish you hear of like that.

I really wouldn't worry about telling him about the tank size though. I really don't get it. On other posts people want a 10 gallon, everyone suggests a 29. Well in this case your suggesting abigger tank than a 29 lol. IMHO a 29 is better than a 10 or osmething smaller than that in starting out becuse it saves you the initial 6 month upgrade most poeple go through.
But yes I do get why the bigger tank was brought up and it is a good point.

You could get off woth getting 20 pounds but the 45 suggested will be a lot better.

Try liveaquaria.net...last time I checked they ahd agreat deal on 45 pounds of fiji lr for about 120 dollars ( thats shipping included.)

I only have about 20#'s in mine atm but plan on getting some Tonga branches to help with seascape.

Others I am sure can give you much more info as far as recommended pounds per gallon.

Good luck :)

Min of 1 lb per gallon to start, adding more adds to the natural filtration of the tank.
Depending on the LR 45-50 lbs may be IMO too much, you want a fish tank and not a rock tank. Its all about what you want the tank too look like, more is not always better in smaller tanks. LR takes up space, space that water holds and water will be displaced. IMO state with 1 lb per gallon and work up from there if you don't like that way it looks.

seaham358 said:
you want a fish tank and not a rock tank

LOL, too funny. It is a difficult balance between needed filtration and space. Also some rock is heavier than others so it adds more to the confusion. When I got my first 40 lbs I couldn’t believe how empty my 55 gal tank looked & now it’s real close to being a rock tank :D

A 29gal is a good starter size. However, I recommend that you buy accessories for a larger tank. In the future if you decide to upgrade, you can use your exsiting equipment on a new tank. As far as fish go, you really have some nice options. You will not be able to keep a lot of fish in a 29, but a nice list might be a pair of false percs, a royal gramma or purple firefish, a goby/psitol shrimp pair and a coral beauty.

10G's wouldn't be good for fish specimen. However they make pretty good Nano Reef tanks. So if 10g will be used for fish only, might as well get a larger tank. The gist that he was trying to say is this: (1) for FOWLRs or Fish-involved setups, the bigger the better, (2) You cannot buy puffers, tangs, triggers, groupers, and some angels with a 29G. So your livestock may be limited.

But definitely, FOWLRs is better when tanks are bigger because there are more choices. The smaller the tank for FOWLR's or fish-involved setups, the narrower your choices. Now, it doesn't mean that when your choices narrow, the quality and beauty disintegrate. There are a lot of amazingly colored specimen for a 29G. You might, however, end up with only 2 or three specimen due to size.

LR is between 1 - 1.5lbs per gallon ideal. What's good about your sized tank is that if later on you decide to have corals and anemone and end up buying coral-copatible lighting, it won't be as expensive as a 4ft tank.

Good luck!

how does this list sound for a 30 gal tank

2 false percula clowns
1 royal gramma
1 flame angel

Back
Top Bottom