Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Mimic Lemon Peel Tang

Ok just wondering if you guys think this could work. I know tangs need usually 6ft long aquariums 100 gal plus. I work at an lfs and am on here quite a bit and know alot. Heres what im thinking Ive got a 55 gallon reef/20gal sump with all sorts of coral and i want a bigger fish I could easily go with angel but risk my corals do you think I could put in a mimic yellow peel tang or any tang to that matter? I maintenance a 24 gallon cube at one of customers houses and i surprises me every time I go their he has had a blue hippo in that tank for 6 years I know its not right but it is working strangely I have to get some pic next time to show its crazy.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It could definitely have a good chance of surviving no doubt. Just like the hippo. This is a living creature that comes from the ocean and swims miles a day.

With any living creature, you should set up a situation where it will thrive, not just survive. I would not put any tang in a 55.

75 Gallon Reef
Psychocircus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree. It would work in a 75g though. the six foot rule is for most, not all, Tangs. Bristletooths are fine in 75s...i beleive most of the mimics that i have seen are as well. they just behave differently and therefore have different requirements.

There seems to be a lot of posts lately with Tangs getting HLLE and they are always in small tanks. There are almost daily posts of "my Tang has Ich..." and they are almost always in smaller than recommended tanks. Stress causes problems for all fish. Tangs, seem to take it worse.

There are always exceptions. The Hippo you talk about...its a 8-12" long, as it should be at that age and its in an 18" wide tank, so it can swim a couple of inches before it has to turn? Of course, this is owned by someone that pays to have a small tank maintained. Sad.
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

eel, lemon, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com